29 Celebrities That Do Meditation
She does meditation!
Celebrities That Do Meditation
This was written January 4, 2012. I only included celebrities that I have heard of before. Also I checked the source of each since I do not like inaccurate information.
Meditation is great for people that need more creativity like artists, writers and people with their own business. I am using quotes and 2 websites for people doing Transcendental Meditation® or TM®.
I had a video of Oprah Winfrey being interviewed by Dr. Oz about TM but it was taken down due to copyright violation. But here is this 3 minute video on Dr. Oz's website. She talks about how important it is in her life and about a town where a third of the people in the town do TM-- Fairfield, Iowa.
Wikipedia says (under meditation):
A 2007 study by the U.S. government found that nearly 9.4% of U.S. adults (over 20 million) had practiced meditation within the past 12 months, up from 7.6% (more than 15 million people) in 2002.
Since the 1960s, meditation has been the focus of increasing scientific research of uneven rigor and quality. In over 1,000 published research studies, various methods of meditation have been linked to changes in metabolism, blood pressure, brain activation, and other bodily processes.
Make sure to see Can Meditation Slow Down Aging for the latest scientific research. A new April 2016 addition is Ivanka Trump. Her father is billionaire Donald Trump and he is running for president of the United States. Ivanka Trump is also in her father's business and has been on his TV show many times so she is also a TV celebrity. She went to Wharton Business School that is the best business school in the country. It is one of the many colleges of the University of Pennsylvania that is the first university in the country. Harvard is the first college in the country.
1. Jerry Seinfeld: He said “I’ve been practicing Transcendental Meditation most of my life. I think that does something to your nervous system. It has given me a calmness I don’t think I had at 19.”
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer
2. Al Gore: Was Vice President of U.S. and won the Nobel Prize for Peace. He is a Christian and said "We both [he and his wife] believe in regular prayer, and we often pray together. But meditation--as distinguished from prayer--I highly recommend it."
3. Oprah Winfrey and Dr. Oz: Dr Oz learned TM. Also he has his patients learn yoga. Martial arts, yoga and meditation are closely associated. Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton does do yoga. For more on this and when Bill Clinton did yoga, see: 23 Very Famous Celebrities That Do Yoga. Oprah made Dr. Oz a celebrity. She apparently is actively doing it. Below is a video of her being interviewed by Dr. Oz and she tells about TM.
She talks about a town in the U.S. where a third of the people there do TM. Also she started doing TM and now her whole staff does it and they take a break twice a day in the studio to do it. If you want to watch it in full screen, click on the Youtube logo in the lower right hand corner.
Important Update on Dr. Oz
Is he too busy to meditate. O | The Oprah Magazine January 2013. It says that Dr. Oz is doing surgical rounds, taping episodes of The Dr. Oz Show, writing a new book: YOU(R) Teen: Losing Weight, writing his monthly column for O magazine. It concludes by saying:
Of course this is on top of being a husband and father of four who finds time every day to meditate.
4. Hugh Jackman: He does TM. Hugh said that meditation "changed his life."
5. Gisele Bundchen: She is a super model. She said "I kept myself in good shape, eating healthily, meditating and doing exercises such as kung fu and yoga."
6. Deepak Chopra M.D.: He learned TM under the guidance of its founder Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. I read a book about TM by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.
7. Demi Moore: She regards Deepak Chopra as her personal guru.
8. Richard Gere: He starred in Pretty Woman and An Officer and a Gentleman, He does Buddhist meditatiion and his teacher is the Dalai Lama. He said:
I think I've always felt that practice was my real life. I remember when I was just starting to practice meditation—24 years old, trying to come to grips with my life. I was holed up in my sh**** little apartment for months at a time, just doing tai chi and doing my best to do sitting practice. I had a very clear feeling that I'd always been in meditation, that I'd never left meditation.
9. Mary Tyler Moore: She starred in the Dick Van Dyke show and the Mary Tyler Moore show . She learned Transcendental Meditation.
10. Will Smith: He said "I find that same voice “you can’t do this” when I’m doing yoga, or meditating, or in a sauna, or cycling up a long hill."
11. Tina Turner: She does Buddhist meditation.
12. Clint Eastwood: He says in the video below that he has been doing Transcendental Meditation for 40 years and "I am a great supporter of Transcendental Meditation."
13. Shania Twain: She does a meditation on inner light and inner music under the Indian religion Sant Mat which means the path of the saints. She is a very famous singer and is very attractive.
14. Howard Stern: He does TM and is a very famous radio celebrity. See him on the video below. He has been doing it since age 18. He has a great story of how he got into this. Stern said he quit smoking almost instantaneously after he began his Transcendental Meditation practice.
15. Jessica Simpson: She was doing a Thai Buddhist meditation under a monk on the video below (last paragraph before the videos on this page). After 40 minutes of meditation, she felt bad that she laughed while doing it in front of the monk. Would she have felt bad if she cried? Both of these are normal during meditation since there is a purging going on during meditation.
16. Sir Paul McCartney: He learned TM with the other Beatles under Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. They traded using drugs for doing meditation. See his video below about TM. The Sir means that he was knighted by the Queen of England in 1997 for his services to music. So he is a knight!
17. Ringo Starr: He learned TM with Paul McCartney. The Beatles; Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr performed in 2009 at Radio City Music Hall in New York to raise money to bring this stress-busting method to 1 million disadvantaged school children around the world.
18. Arnold Schwarzennegar: He was a bodybuilder, actor and governor of California. He learned TM.
19. Tiger Woods: His family does Buddhist meditation and he started doing it at a young age. Tiger has said that he'd gotten away from his meditation practice and we all know what happened there.
20. Steven Seagal: At age 17, he moved to Japan to study acupuncture, martial arts and zen meditation. He came back to America, became a bodyguard and then became an actor. He announced that he had been a Buddhist Lama in his past life. With a history of moving to Japan at age 17, how can you argue with that?
The Dalai Lama was chosen as a young child and tested by Buddhist monks. He had to distinguish the objects that he had owned in his past life with other items that he did not own without any mistakes.
21. Keanu Reeves: After playing a Buddha in the movie, Little Buddha, he started doing Buddhist meditation.
22. Halle Berry: She said "I meditate and pray all the time." When she was starring in the thriller movie Gothika, actress Halle Berry started practicing meditation to get rid of her nightmares.
23. Ivanka Trump: Her father is the front runner in the polls and may be the next President of the United States. She said on TMHome:
Meditation is one of the most important things I do each day. I meditate for twenty minutes, ideally twice daily. Sometimes I miss the afternoon session, but I always make the morning one. It’s been invaluable in terms of calming my mind and allowing me to think more clearly.
24. Russel Brand: He promotes TM and he married Katy Perry.
25. Burt Reynolds: He learned TM.
26. Madonna: She learned TM.
27. W. Timothy Gallwey (Tim Gallwey): He was captain of the Harvard tennis team. He wrote some best selling books like The Inner Game of Tennis and The Inner Game of Golf. Then he went on to help corporations and Fortune 500 companies with his inner game of work. He was on the cover of Success Magazine for that. It was all based on learning to overcome your inner resistance and being in the now or present moment, decades before Eckhart Tolle. For more information on the unique mediation that he does see Words of Peace Global. I feel that this is the most effective mediation that there is.
He has been doing the meditation taught by Prem Rawat that is called Self-Knowledge or Knowledge for decades. This is the meditation that I also do. It teaches you to turn your 5 senses inward, that are usually going outward.
28. Jet Li: He is a Buddhist. According to Men's Health magazine (September 2004), Jet Li is the only five-time national wushu (martial arts) champion of China. Because of this, China has declared him a national treasure. He meditates at least one hour a day and has meditated 14 hours in a day.
29. Stevie Wonder: He learned TM.
Professor Martin Seligman is not really a celebrity. I read a few of his books. In 1998, Seligman was elected President of the American Psychological Association by the widest margin in its history! He is now the director of the Positive Psychology Network that studies how people can be happier. In his book Authentic Happiness , he says "as someone who did TM religiously for twenty years, and became much slower and less anxious, I can recommend it as an effective mindfulness technique."
I have another article about the Many Benefits of Meditation. Due to comments below, here is another article on meditation or actually on finding happiness that has information from different sources like positive psychology and the flow experience. Here is Dr Oz telling how he has done TM for 3 years and is offering it to his employees.
Hannah Montana - New Theme Song HQ
Paul McCartney Talks About Transcedental Meditation
OPERATION WARRIOR WELLNESS - Clint Eastwood, Transcendental Meditation (TM)
6 Minute Video Where Prem Rawat Talks About Peace and You.
More by this Author
This tells about the many benefits of this amazing and powerflul herb. It has been heavily studied. It is called stonebreaker herb, stone breaker, chanca piedra (Spanish) or quebra pedra (Portuguese).
This tells about research on meditation slowing aging from a Nobel Prize winning biologist (discovered how chromosomes are protected by telomeres & the enzyme telomerase), Elizabeth Blackburn PhD.
This tells about the many benefits of eating one meal a day like better health, losing weight and saving a lot of time. It also tells about Herschel Walker who has been doing this since age 18.