Blackberries, Nutritious and Delicious
Blackberries and how they help keep us healthy
When I was a child I used to wander the woods picking blackberries for my grandmother to turn into heavenly pies, cobblers, and jam. I would pick those wonderful sweet little berries with visions of wonderful desserts that my grandmother would turn them into. Of course, I ate as many as I delivered to her. My arms would have rivers of stains running up them and my face would inevitably be covered in the juices. Who knew these delicious little pieces of fruit were so healthy?
Blackberries are a wonderfully versatile fruit. Not only are they delicious and good for you, they also can be used in an amazing amount of ways. Blackberries are abundant with healthy qualities. For one thing, they contain antioxidants that help prevent cancer.
They are full of Anthocyanins which are linked to improved vision, cardiovascular health, memory retention in old age and a reduced risk of hypertension. They contain high dietary fiber, minerals, potassium, protein, hearth healthy polyunsaturated fats,Vitamins A and C. I really like the fact that they are so full of dietary fiber. It makes them a superb diet food. Imagine that.
Blackberries are the perfect additive in many different types of recipes and foods. They are regularly used in juice, jellies, jams, pies, muffins, pancakes, salads and many other types of dishes. I have included 3 healthy, low-fat, low-calorie recipes to help get you started on the road to a healthy diet that includes blackberries.
Health benefits of Blackberries
1. Blackberries neutralize free radicals which can affect disease and aging.
2. They aid in the reduction of belly fat, lower cholesterol and triglycerides.
3. They can prevent and even heal some brain disorders by restoring the health of the central nervous system.
4. They have been proven to preserve vision. They are high in the compound anthocyanosides which has been found to slow down loss of vision.
5. The high fiber content of blackberries and their ability to dissolve bad cholesterol make them a useful supplement to help heath diseases.
6. They contain acids that combined with Vitamin C, and copper work miracles with preventing certain cancers such as colon and liver cancer.
7. The high fiber content in blackberries help with digestion and help keep away constipation.
8. They also help promote urinary health by preventing the growth of bacteria along the lining of the inner walls of the urinary tract.
9. They also help keep you fit, active and in a good mood.
10. They also improve glucose and insulin sensitivity.
Very Berry Blackberry Ambrosia
2 cups blackberries
1 cup blueberries
1 cup strawberries
1 cup flaked coconut
1 8 oz jar marashino cherries
1 16 oz container low fat, low sugar whipped cream.
Combine all berries in a large bowl and srpinkle with sugar substitute. Cover and refridgerate for 1 hour.
Combine with the rest of the ingredients, cover and refridgerate. Enjoy
For this recipe you can use either frozen or fresh berries.
1/2 cup low fat milk
1/4 cup or equivilant sugar substitute
1/2 cup non-fat sour cream
2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
2 3oz pkg sugsr free blackberry gelatin
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup boiling water
16 oz container low fat, low sugar whipped cream
Combine milk, sugar and vanilla in saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat, seet aside and cool to room temperature.
Add sour cream and whip until smooth.
In medium size saucepan boil 1 cup of water and add gelatin, salt, and lemon juice stirring until gelatin is dissolved. Set aside to cool.
Combine sour cream mixture, gelatin mixture and blackberries. Fold in whipped cream.
Blackberry Fruit Salad
2 cups blackberries
2 tsp or equivalent sugar substitute
1 cup raspberries
1 cup strawberries
1 cup blueberries
1 cup coconut
1 cup nuts, your choice
In large bowl combine all ingredients, mix well and let set for a couple of hours. Enjoy.
If you wish to have a blackberry sauce for the top blens a cup of blackberries, 2 tsp sugar substitute and 1/4 cup of orange juice.
Pour topping over fruit and add a tbsp. of sugar free fat free whipped cream.
- Best Fresh Fruit Recipes: Blackberries, Apples and G...
Here are five of my best recipes for using fresh picked fruits. Two recipes are for interesting pies, while three are for jelly, preserves, and a refreshing type of marmalade.
- Health Benefits of Blackberries and Best Berry Ice C...
Blackberries are delicious and their dark colors are a key to maintaining good health, while fighting some of our deadliest diseases. Enjoy a Hub about the benefits of blackberries and a great recipe.
- Mini Bundt Cake Recipe: Blackberry Lemon Bundt Cakes
These quick and easy mini bundt cakes, full of fresh berries & lemon zest, will make your guests think you've slaved in the kitchen for hours!
- The Best Homemade Blackberry Brandy Recipe
The best homemade blackberry brandy is easy to make at home. Homemade Blackberry Brandy is great for sipping or to pour over ice cream or use in desserts.
- How To Preserve Blackberries In Your Freezer
I love picking berries. Once I've eaten all I can hold, and have made a few cobblers, I like to put blackberries into the freezer. It's really easy to do, and you get to enjoy all that berry goodness throughout the year.
- A Story of Blackberries and Cobbler, and Change
Blackberries and cobbler, yes! And lots more old-fashioned living in this fun-to-read article of changing cultures that is a foundational expression of those good old days. And a little bit more...
Do you eat blackberries?See results without voting
“Life was so simple when apples and blackberries were fruit, a tweet was the sound of nature, and facebooks were photo albums”— Carl Henegan
More by this Author
It's surprizing how true the saying, A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips" really is. It seems everytime I eat it goes straight to my hips. What you need is to rev up your motabolism and believe it or not, you...
Fat-burning foods are my favorite type of food. You just have to love them. There are more fat-burning foods than you will believe out there. Give them a try.
Different styles look better on some than others. We all want to look good, that's a given. To look your best, you need to dress for your body type.