Exercise Can Be Fun
Take The Boredom Out Of Exercise
Many people think that in order to lose weight they must go on a diet. This usually means starving themselves or eating foods that are unhealthy and do more harm than good in the long run. Your safesty way to lose weight is to eat sensibly and burn off the calories through exercise. But for many, exercise is a bad word. It is too difficult, too time-consuming, it's too boring ... The excuses go on and on, because, let's face it, exercise can be all that and more. However, if you could learn about a few fun things that will increase your energy, help you lose weight, feel and look better, you will be more likely to do them.
Here are some activities that are so much fun, you won't even think of them as exercise:
1. Walking your dog. If you have a dog, this can be an excellent way to give yourself a good workout and spend time with your pet. As you get more fit, you can change to running. You and your pet will benefit.
2. Swimming. This activity burns fat, tones muscle and builds endurance and is a great cardiovascular workout. When done with friends or with your dog, it becomes even more fun.
3. Hiking. Are you a nature lover? What better way than to discover new sceneries than on a hiking trip. It’s good exercise and offers a lot of possibilities for other activities along the way. You can take photos, hunt, fish and cook your catches.
4. Biking. You can do this with the family or friends for more fun. Explore new areas and enjoy the outdoors.
5. Go sightseeing. The next time you go on vacation, forget the tour bus. Take a map and your walking shoes and discover historic museums and other attractions. Most sightseeing tours offer great opportunities for walking and stair-climbing. You'll return home slimmer and fitter than when you left.
5. Dancing. Ever notice the flat stomachs and shapely hips of professional dancers? You do not have to be one to benefit from this activity. It is a great form of exercise that does not call for any special equipment. Do it at home alone, with a partner or on a night out on the town. You may derive other benefits besides just burning calories.
6. Gardening. This is a beautiful activity that does not feel like exercise. Pushing a lawn mower, pulling weeds, digging, planting can give you many happy hours in fresh air and help you burn some calories. You get a double reward if you grow your own vegetables.
7. Play a sport. Basketball, soccer, tennis, racquetball are all good forms of exercise that provide fun and fitness at the same time.
8. Play with your kids. Kids' games such as hopscotch, jumping rope, rollerblading and many other games put the fun into fitness and leave you feeling good for hours afterwards.
As you begin to exercise you may come up with other creative ways to exercise and have fun doing it. You can join a class, or buy a DVD and get those endorphins flowing. Whatever you do, have fun. As long as you don't think of it as exercise and don't try to push yourself too hard in the beginning, you will reap the benefits and will be more likely to stick with it. As with any exercise, please consult your physician first.
More by this Author
The average employee spends more of his waking time at work than anywhere else. Going to work means interacting with people who are not necessarily members of your own family, and who all have different...
I was born and grew up on the island of Trinidad. In case you don't know, Trinidad is the most southerly of the West Indies and lies just about seven miles off the north-eastern tip of Venezuela. As a child growing up...
Mention the US gold rush and most people think of California and the Wild Wild West. But there is a little-know town north west of Atlanta, called Villa Rica, which boasts of the first gold rush.