Low Sodium Foods
Why are they Important
Importance of Low Sodium Diet
Because excess sodium intake can lead to various health complications, many health experts encourage the eating of low-sodium foods.
- Low sodium diets help in preventing heart diseases.
- They help reduce high blood pressures.
- Low sodium diets are recommended by the American College of Cardiology in the treatment of mild hypertension.
- Sodium retention can cause chronic liver disease.
Tips to Reduce Sodium in your Diet
Here are some tips, by following which the amount of sodium can reduce in your daily diet miraculously.
- Use fresh vegetables instead of canned ones. If you don't have an option other than having canned vegetables, rinse them well before cooking.
- Use seasonings other than salt to flavor your food. Garlic is a good choice.
- Canned soups should be avoided as they are very high in sodium.
- Read food labels. Use the label information on food packages to help you to make the best low-sodium selections.
- Another tip to reduce the amount of sodium you consume in your daily diet is to try to avoid processed foods. Fresh produce meat and freshwater fish are typically salt-free or extremely low sodium, while processed restaurant foods, such as frozen dinners and soups are usually quite large in sodium.
- Drink large amounts of fresh water. Water helps eradicate excess sodium.
- Try to obtain special low sodium foods.
Amount of Sodium
To stay healthy reduce your sodium intake to 2000 mg per day. This can be difficult in the beginning but once you switch yourself to low sodium diet, it will be become a lifestyle.
Low Sodium Foods
Almost all foods can be consumed in this perspective. Don't salt them or if you have to add salt, add it in a very small quantity, try to have fresh food instead of canned, and you can consume almost everything. Still, to make things clear, here is a list.
- Butter, margerine
- Fruit drinks
- All fresh fruits
- Low fat yogurt
- Unprocessed meats, fish, and poultry
- Fresh vegetables
- Coffee, tea
- Breads and Cereals
- Peanut butter
See you can have everything with a litlle care in order to reduce sodium in your diet.
Visit xyzHealth.com to read more about health and nutrition. The website contains some useful information on health.
More by this Author
I am a big lover of palm trees and here I am going to share some of my favorite palm trees with you. Kentia palms are beautiful palms native to the Lord Howe island of Australia. Now, these plants have reached almost...
I have collected these random facts from various sources on the internet(like Wikipedia), so they may or may not be true. Now please proceed to reading these interesting random bits. Butterflies cannot fly if their...
Dracaena is a family of related plants. There are forty different species of plants in the genus Dracaena. Lets take a look at some care tips, propagation and other information about these plants. Although the care...