Pitfalls Of Home Treatment For Hemorrhoids
You may be making things worse
When symptoms such as pain, rectal discomfort, burning and itching occur, many sufferers go for home remedies. The more popular remedies are fiber supplements, exercise, sitz bath, compresses and ice packs. We shall look at each of these in turn.
The pitfall above all is substituting a diagnosis with home remedies. Even though the symptoms of hemorrhoids are often obvious, they do overlap considerably with symptoms of anal fissure, anal fistula, inflammatory bowel diseases and even bowel cancers. If your anal condition has not previously received medial attention, a consultation with a physician is required. Medical review is also essential if your last assessment has been more than a couple of months ago and you are still symptomatic.
Fiber high foods help to prevent constipation but can cause problems if you overdo it. The main problems are bloatedness in the abdomen and excessive flatus. The folllowing foods are usually helpful if taken in moderation:
• Bran and bran cereals - they need to be introduced slowly into the diet because otherwise, they can cause stomach discomfort.
• Dark berry juices - made from cherries, blueberries and blackberries. If taken excessively, the high sugar content can tip some sufferer's blood sugar level overboard.
• Cantaloupe - contains fiber, minerals and vitamins.
• Papaya - it is a rich source of fiber and helps digestion.
• Red and black currants - they also contain rutin which helps to alleviate pain and discomfort in the rectal area.
• Bananas - they are high in fiber and can be eaten steamed. Some advocates suggest that four bananas can be taken daily to help treat hemorrhoids. This is to be discouraged as bananas are high in potassium content. Four bananas a day can cause excessive potassium load in individuals with restricted kidney function reserve. This can cause high blood potassium level (hyperkalaemia) which is a very dangerous condition associated with irregular heart rhythm and even collapse.
Physical activity is generally advocated for people suffering from hemorrhoids. Where there is no doubt that exercise is helpful for cardiovascular system and irritable bowel syndrome, there is no evidence to support its benefit in hemorrhoid sufferers. Trying to maintain your exercise regime during a flare-up hemorrhoid symptoms is mentioned to be condemned. It just doesn't make sense to give yourself more pain, does it? "No pain, no gain" doesn't apply here.
Many advocate the use of warm water and soak the rectal area in the tub for no more than 15 minutes two to three times daily for three weeks. A few problems arise here. Firstly, the water should in fact be only luke warm, like the temperature of a heated swimming pool, rather than the temperature of a hot bath or a hot spring. Otherwise, more swelling will result from dilatation of blood vessels. Also, be extremely careful when you dry the affected area afterwards. The condition is often worsened if rough material is used for drying the anus. Use a soft cotton towel to remove wetness from the anus, with utmost gentleness and cause to avoid causing abrasion and bleeding.
Compresses and ice packs
Compresses saturated in pomegranate juice and ice packs to be applied to the anus, are often advocated for symptomatic relief. Even though soothing is achieved at the time, more swelling and delayed resolution of the swelling often follow. Don't do it.s from the freezer and wrap them in soft cotton cloth. Apply the ice pack on the affected area and withdraw it alternately. This way you can alleviate the hemorrhoidal pain significantly and to reduce swelling and rectal discomfort to a great degree.
With recent advances in medications, primary care physicians can achieve speedy symptomatic relief for most hemorrhoid sufferers. They are also able to spot the conditions which require early specialist referrals. Most of the time, there is really no advantage for sufferers to try to manage their own hemorrhoids with home remedies.
Dr Benson Yeung's related hub: What Can Go Wrong With Banding Of Hemorrhoids
More by this Author
Making Millions on eBay is Harder Than They Would Have You Believe Being a full time surgeon doesn't make me immune to internet marketing scams. I do own a couple of websites and am interested in learning. After...
Last week, I wrote the article entitled Honda Stream RSZ 2.0L Versus Odyssey 2.4L, I promised to tell you which car I bought and challenged you to guess which and why I did it. You may recap what I wrote: There...
Breast fibroadenomas are at least ten times more common than breast cancer. They are benign tumours in the breast which present as smooth mobile swellings to the patient. Often they are spherical or oval in shape. They...