The Dangers of Smoking Cigarettes While Pregnant
Discover why smoking is dangerous during pregnancy and the effects of smoking on you and your baby’s health and development.
I think we all know that like drinking too much alcohol, smoking is also very harmful to our health, especially when a woman is pregnant. Smoking during the pregnancy period can really harm the baby.
When you smoke, the baby inside the womb is exposed to harmful chemicals like nicotine and carbon monoxide. These chemicals can lessen the amount of oxygen that can really slow the growth in the womb, thus leading to other complications and birth defects. Remember, you are breathing for two.
I’ve seen a lot of pregnant women, like on its 7 or 8 month stage, with white sticks on their lips. Oh those killer cigarettes! It made me think of a thousand things – will the baby be alright or how will the baby survived the complications due to the harms of smoke?
I sometimes thought, they don’t love the child on their womb – well, maybe they do, but they love their self more that they just couldn’t stop their habit for a few months.
Thousands of innocent babies were born each year with defects and illnesses due to the bad habit of smoking while pregnant. The babies suffered the consequences. They also deserve the chance to grow into a healthy kid with no abnormalities or defects.
Here's the list of complications for women who smoke during pregnancy:
- Ectopic Pregnancy – this is the pregnancy outside the uterus (usually in the fallopian tube)
- Vaginal Bleeding
- Fetal death – this is when the baby is still a fetus and dies in uterus
- Spontaneous abortion – this is also known as miscarriage
- Problems with placenta – this includes early detachment from the uterine wall and blocks the cervical opening
- Premature labor
- Premature rupture of the membranes
- Respiratory problems
Effects to fetus inside / babies born to women who smoke during pregnancy:
- Birth defects (e.g. cleft lip or palate, excess fingers or toes)
- Retarded growth and development
- Changes in the baby’s brains and lungs
- Stillbirth and death of the baby in the first week
- Risks of SUDI (Sudden Unexpected Death in Infancy), which also includes SIDS or Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
- Born prematurely
- Low Birth weight/Underweight (about 200g less than normal) – babies are at risk of other lifelong complications and disabilities such as cerebral palsy, intellectual disabilities and learning problems.
And the list goes on.
Stopping smoking will greatly benefit your baby and your health immediately. The oxygen levels on your body will return to normal and your lungs will be smoke-free thus increasing the possibility of a healthy pregnancy. Besides, quitting smoking can really help you improve your healthy lifestyle.
I just don’t know why some women still smoke even if they know they’re pregnant. Don’t they think of complications it might cause to their babies? Some people prayed for a miracle to have a baby but others just don’t know what blessing do they already have and still don’t care if the baby will die on the process.
Couple of weeks ago, I saw a woman smoking heavily. She’s pregnant and by looking at the size of her womb, she’s already on the 8 month stage. I’m reaching out to the hearts of mothers who can’t stop smoking while they’re pregnant.
Think of your baby’s future. Think of the life they deserve after they are born. Follow what is right and not what you just want. After all, you also want to see your kid healthy and lively someday, right.
Come to think of it, are you going to take chances and put yourself and your baby's health to that white short sticks? Please don't. Life is too precious to waste.
Always remember that the more you smoke throughout the pregnancy period, the greater the risks and complications you are bringing to yourself and to the baby.
© 2012 Mycee. All Rights Reserved.
More by this Author
Oysters can offer an array of benefits on our health. But sometimes, this delectable, exotic food can also have a bad effect to our body. Find out more about the good and bad health effects of eating Oysters.
Heal yourself... naturally.
Think Health : Avoid re-using plastic bottles right away.