Popular Types of Massage You Must Experience
Getting a massage feels terrific, and in addition, has health benefits. Some of the benefits of massage are stress reduction, alleviates various pains (back, neck, etc), increases flexibiliy and range of motion in joints, improves circulation, detoxifies body's impurities, assists with injury recovery (athletic and others), relieves migraines, stimulates lymph flow, and so much more.
Bob Hope believed getting regular massages was one of his secrets for why he lived to 100 years old so you may be able to add longetivity to the long list of benefits.
Popular types of massage worth trying are:
1. Hot or Warm Stone Massage using smooth comfortably heated rocks in combination with traditional massage techniques and strokes. The stones are strategically placed on the body to relax stiff muscles and loosen up the body for massage. It helps with detoxification and stress release. I would suggest it if you want the most relaxing massage experience. Prices are a little more than traditional massage and will range between $70-150 per hour.
4. Erotic Massage is something a little more personal, but is worth giving and receiving. There are guidelines available to help you navigate your way to pleasure (http://www.sexuality.org/erotmass.html). What I've found to be most helpful is learning where your partner's errogenous zones are located. In case you don't know or maybe your partner doesn't know, here's a helpful guide: http://www.divine.ca/en/sex-and-love/erogenous-zone-map/c_47/
2. Deep Tissue is just that- it targets the underlying muscles, connective tissue, and places you've never felt before. This is intense massage and great for recovering injuries, athletes, and people who have chronic muscle tightness or strains. It's most popular with people who work-out hard or train athletically. If you have posture problems or a physically demanding job, this is perfect for you too.
The therapist uses deep, sometimes slightly painful, strokes to get into your tissues and relax any tightness. Don't hesitate to ask fo lighter pressure if it's too painful. They will also ask you to breathe deeply at certain times which helps them really get into the muscle and release it.
I will forewarn the weak- deep tissue isn't the most relaxing leisurely type of massage, but it has helped me with muscle strains, rotator cuff injury, lymph stimulation, and detoxificaiton. It feels best after the massage is over, while some may be sore a day or two after, the benefits last longer than regualr massage. I usually lose up to 5 lbs. within a few days after too.
Since the massage is generally performed at a slower pace, I suggest getting a 1 1/2 hour time slot so that all your muscles can be evenly worked on. This will cost between $80-$150.
3. Shiatsu is a Japanese form of massage that focuses on pressure points and the flow of energy, like the way accupunture works. Fingers and palms are used in a strategic sequence to release energy and impurities, increasing circulation along with stress reduction.
Traditionally this type of massage doesn't require oil or lotion and can be performed with clients fully clothed. Many have experienced this type of massage when you are seated in a massage chair at free clinic booths in malls or state fairs, etc. Prices range between $50-80/hour.
5. Ashiatsu or Fijian Massage is a relaxing and fun experience. This type of massage is done with your masseuse's feet while they hold onto a couple of bars above the massage table. It doesn't hurt or feel clumsy on your body, because these people that offer this type of massage are well-trained and can't fake the hard and precise effort that goes into giving them. The pressure is better than regular massage and seems to cover more parts of your body at one time. Plus it is just so cool how they do it.
More by this Author
I've lived through enough fashion trends to be OK with men wearing make-up, such as popular rock band, KISS or more recently Adam Lambert. I'm even physically turned on by the way thick black eyeliner highlights the...
Just as there's a wide range of mental illnesses, there are as many children and adult children of a mentally ill parent who have suffered without a voice. It may come as a surprise that many mentally ill people have...
There may come a time when you have endured a harmful and stressful family relationship, and you may wonder if cutting ties is right for you.