Myths on bites and stings
Get ready for some myth busting facts on just how very dangerous some creatures really are out there in this world. It's best to try to avoid all creatures that could or may sting or bite, or have whatever other danger they may pose to you. When it comes down to bites, and stings prevention is always the best of all medicines. One simple part of prevention is it's important to learn which creatures can bite, sting, and are dangerous to human beings. Not all of the creatures that we learned about growing up, and were taught to stay away from are as bad as we were led to believe, and we aren't talking about dog or shark bites here either. A lot of these myths about stings and bites were highly exaggerated from urban legend, and old wives tales. I'm going to now try to set the record straight on some of these myths, and below I'm going to discuss five of the myths about bites and stings.
5 myths about bites and stings
1. The smaller the scorpion then the more dangerous it is - This one is certainly not true. First of all scorpions do not bite, they sting and inject venom. Only one scorpion in the United States of America is classified as potentially deadly, and that is the "Bark" scorpion.
2. Baby rattlesnakes are more dangerous than adult snakes - This is not true. The bigger the rattlesnake is then the more venom it has. The amount of venom that a rattlesnake has is based on it's size. No matter what you should always seek help when bitten by any size rattlesnake.
3. Tourniquets will help keep the venom from spreading - This is not true. You shouldn't use tourniquets for treating any type of bite or sting. This includes the use of belts, bandanas, rubber bands, and thread.
4. Drinking milk is a good treatment for a scorpion sting - Drinking milk has never been proven to affect the sting from a scorpion in any way.
5. Daddy long legs are the most poisonous spider - This is certainly not true. The daddy long leg spider has always gotten a really bad rap in life. First of all, they are harvestmen or Opiliones, and the daddy long leg is not a spider. The daddy long legs are also not venomous.
There is this one story about rattlesnakes that I'd like to share with everyone before I go and leave you.There have been a lot of stories about people being bitten by a rattlesnakes head, up to an hour or two after the head had been cut off of the snake's body. But I would now like to share another type of rattlesnake story with you all. There are other parts of a dead rattlesnake that you better beware of other than just it's head. Those parts not only include the rattlesnake's body, but what potentially might just be waiting and lurking inside of the severed rattlesnake's body.
A friend of mine at work killed a rattlesnake a while back while taking a hike through the woods, and in doing so he cut off the rattlesnakes head. My friend tossed the rattlesnake's head carefully over a hill. He then threw the large rattlesnake's body in the back seat area of his Chevy Suburban, so that he could take it home to cook, leaving the head long behind as he drove down the road. A short time later while he was driving he felt some pecking on his high topped cowboy boots. When he looked down to see what was causing this sensation, he discovered a bunch of baby rattlesnakes pecking on his boots. It's obvious now that the baby Rattlesnakes crawled out of the headless rattlesnakes body, which was being hauled inside of the vehicle. He wasn't hurt, but the moral of this story is to no matter what beware of rattlesnakes, dead or alive. Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to put them inside of some type of a sealed container, when you are transporting them from one place to another. For TheHoleStory just remember it's always better to have the delicious meat of a cooked rattlesnake in a bowl on your kitchen table then pecking on the side of your boots.
More by this Author
Sooner or later it seems that all good things come to an end. Similar to what the KFC game day bucket girl said, these ten different foods "Go Boom". Some of these foods were very popular, and others seemed as...
Sometimes certain people in this world have more money than common sense, and here's an interesting list of ten different stupid things that some rich people spend their money on & buy.
Everyone has heard of the 7 wonders of the world, which includes breath taking views of nature's beauty in marvelous places like the Grand Canyon. Just as nature has done, mankind has also been leaving astonishing works...