Benefits of Guaiacwood
The scientific name of guaiac is Guaiacum officinale and is also called guayacan. Guaiacwood is a small tree but its wood is considered as one of the hardest and most resilient wood in the world and is a trade wood. Historically, the guaiacwood has many medicinal benefits and uses. Guaiac belongs to family of zygophyllaceae trees which slowly grow up to 12 meters in height. Guaiac wood has large branched stems, rounded crown, entirely elliptical paired leaves, flowers contain bluish-white petals, and a capsular fruit which is fleshy with several divisions, each of which contains a seed.History and symbolism of guaiacwood tree: Guaiac tree is also called as Palo Santo or Tree of Life. For 100s of years, this useful tree has been utilized by Native Americans due to its benefits in treatment of infections such as herpes and syphilis. Guaiac was first introduced by Spain in 1508 as an ultimate cure for syphilis but nowadays Guaiac is most commonly used in homeopathic medicine due to its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and slightly analgesic properties. The lignum vitae or Guaiacum officinale is the national flower of Jamaica. Guaiacum officinale is a native of tropical America, i.e., Jamaica and Santo Domingo and is found in bushes grown on stony ground in low-lying plains.
Extraction of Guaiacwood
Wood, bark, resin, and guaiacol (guaiacwood essential oil) are used worldwide due to their medicinal properties.
Some Guaiacwood Benefits
- Guaiacwood Oil stimulates sweating and is used in treatment of chronic rheumatism. Guaiacwood resin stimulates our digestive system and its high doses are purgative.
- It is also used for treatment of sore throat and laryngitis.
- Guaiacwood essential oil which is commonly known as guaiacol is used for treatment of respiratory ailments.
- Externally, guaiacwood essential oil is used for soothing toothaches and rheumatoid arthritis. Also it is beneficial for treatment of fungal skin diseases.
- Guaiac resin is a natural antioxidant with a high level of phenolic compounds.
- The ingredients of guaiac resins contain effective anti-inflammatory properties.
Use of Guaiac Herb
- Antioxidant properties help fight free radicals.
- Guaiac herb is a natural anti-inflammatory and analgesic.
More by this Author
A simple and straightforward guide to prevent and treat mouth ulcers. Also read the the causes and signs and symptoms...
If you will go through the books of naturopathy or natural/alternative medicine, you will see a lot of mention about horse chestnut which is a beautiful and tall deciduous tree. Horse chestnut extract has been used...
If you are overburdened with your longstanding credit card debt, fed up of receiving harassing phone calls by your credit card issuing bank, want to get rid of debt collectors who threaten you at your home and office on...