Home Remedies to Treat Mouth Ulcers: Causes and Symptoms of Mouth Ulcers
What are Mouth Ulcers?
A mouth ulcer refers to a painful sore that may develop on the gums, tongue, or the inner aspect of cheeks. Mouth ulcers appear one by one or may appear in clusters. Usually, they resolve within 1 week. Mouth ulcers are also called aphthae.
Mouth Ulcers Causes: Common Causes of Mouth Ulcers
Some of the common causes associated with mouth ulcers include:
- An insufficiency of vitamin C and vitamin B complex.
- In response to certain foods that are full of synthetic colors and flavors.
- Ulcers are seen in association with Crohn's disease, celiac disease, ulcerative colitis and individuals with Irritable bowel disease.
- Acid Reflux disease cause apthae.
- Stress is known to trigger the development of mouth ulcers.
- Hormonal changes are an important cause.
- Inadequate mouth and teeth care.
- Certain drugs and medicines.
- Trauma to the oral mucosa due to ill-fitting dentures or forceful brushing.
- Tuberculosis, diabetes mellitus, cancer, HIV infection
- Leukoplakia, which is a precancerous condition
Mouth Ulcers Symptoms
Mouth ulcers are circular spots which are grayish-white, red or yellow; and shallow; they have an inflamed border.
When you eat spicy or salty foods, the ulcer becomes extremely painful. In general, the sore heals in seven to ten days.
In very severe cases, fever and lethargy also occur. Lymph nodes in the neck and jaw might swell and become painful.
Mouth Ulcers Home Remedy: Natural Cures for Mouth Ulcers
The following home remedies treat mouth ulcers quickly and successfully:
- Coriander Seeds: Boil two spoons of coriander seeds in water for 15 minutes. Use this as a gargle, at least 3 times everyday.
- Baking Soda: Combine equal quantities of baking soda and water and make a paste. Apply on the sore, it will allay pain immediately.
- Glycerin/ Aloe Vera: Apply glycerin to the oral mucosa; it helps heal the ulcer promptly.Local application of Aloe Vera is also considered beneficial as it hastens the healing of the ulcer
- Indian Gooseberry: Blend pounded Indian gooseberry bark and honey. Apply to the ulcer 2 to 3 times everyday.
- Basil :Chew 7 to 10 leaves daily, it expedites the process of healing.
Additionally, make sure that you maintain good oral hygiene; however, do not be overenthusiastic while brushing and flossing. Brush gently, twice daily. Use neat lime juice to brush your teeth once a week. Lime provides loads of vitamin C, and the level of vitamin C in your daily diet determines your oral health status. Thus, incorporate plenty of vitamin C rich foods (oranges, limes, lemons, berries, peaches, apples, mangoes and bell peppers). In fact, a vitamin C supplement is recommended till the ulcer heals completely.
Talk to your health care provider in case you need to get any investigations done to rule out medical conditions that trigger the development of ulcers.
More by this Author
Bile juices aid in the digestion of fats. During pregnancy however, bile reflux is fairly common and can lead to a host of unpleasent symptoms. Here are some herbs and home remedies along with some home based and...
Angular cheilitis is associated with formation of sores around the mouth and can be associated with several causes. The symptoms of the condition can be treated using home remedies and healthy diet.
Liver Cysts rarely have any symptoms; nonetheless, the condition hampers liver functions considerably. Home remedies help treat the condition successfully and keep the liver functioning optimally.