Treat Flu Naturally with Home Remedies and Parnayama
How common is Common Cold?
Estimates suggest that over one billion cases of common cold are recorded in the United States alone each year. Flu is attributed to influenza virus, which is known to mutate as quickly as twice a year.
Epidemological experts suggest a child on an average has about eight episodes of cold each year.Though colds are frequent during winters, an individual can get infected with common cold at any time of the year.
Common cold is a self limiting disorder and if not treated tends to completely regress within a week. However, the condition can be fairly dibilitating espeically during the intial days and can lead to complications, especially among immunocompromised or elderly.
Symptoms of Common Cold & Flu
The common cold characterized by inflammation and irritation of the mucus membrane of the respiratory tract, occurs due to a viral infection. A weak immune system (espeically among elderly with chronic ailments or young children) and lowered vitality of the body ( individuals already suffering from debilitating ailments like HIV or cancers) make one more susceptible to cold.
Some of the common symptoms associated with the condition include,
- Recurrent sneezing caused due to irritation of the nasal mucosa.
- Cough is usually associated with post nasal discharge.
- Sore throat
- Heaviness of the head or headaches due to blocked nasal sinuses.
- Watery, clear nasal discharge with or without watering of the eyes.
- Occasionally, one may complain of mild bodyache, fatigue and low grade fever.
In some cases, individuals may suffer from superadded secondary bacterial infections, which can result in yellowish or greenish nasal discharge and sputum with high grade fever.
Home Remedies to Treat Flu
Simple home remedies are often very helpful in dealing with cold and flu. These remedies not only hasten recovery but also enhance immunity and prevent recurrance of the ailment,
- Honey and Lime: Mixing the juice of one lime with one spoon of honey and warm water is highly beneficial for the treatment of cold. Lime is packed with Vitamin C, which is a powerful immune booster. It reinforces the immunity and defense mechanism of the body and fights infectious agents. Also, it builds resistance, reduces toxicity and diminishes the duration of the illness.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is one of the best antiseptics that we have, and has been used time and again in folk medicine. . It is very effective for colds and nasal discharges and soothes an inflamed throat. Mix one spoon of powdered turmeric with one glass of hot milk and boil well. Consume twice a day. It aids quick relief.
- Ginger: Ginger is well known for its anti-inflammatory effects. Gingerols present in ginger are powerful anti-inflammatory agents that exert a beneficial effect on the respiratory system and reduce the symptoms of common cold. Making ginger tea, by boiling the herb in water is vastly beneficial.
- Garlic is another home remedy which help reduce nasal congestion and provides relief from headaches. Garlic can be consumed in the form of garlic tea (without sugar) or freshly crushed garlic flakes with honey.
Pranayama for Common Cold: Deep Breathing
Experts also recommend practicing Yoga and Pranayama on a daily basis. They promise to eliminate the recurrence of cough and cold. Further, this technique is effective to deal with asthma and other respiratory complains, which often get aggravated during an episode of flu.
Pranayama has a powerful impact on the immune functioning of the body. It strengthens and fortifies the mechanism and prevents the occurrence of colds. Pranayama also improves the lung power and the lung capacity significantly. In addition, pranayama, when practiced along with meditation can improve physical and mental functions.
Several research studies have indicated the paranayama and yoga practice on regular basis enhances immune functions and reduces suspectibility to disease including common cold and flu.
More by this Author
Goiter is a thyroid disorder which is often associated with hypothyroidism but can also be observed in cases of hyperthyroidism. There are several factors or causes associated with goiter. Dietary considerations and...
Excessive perspiration, combined with multiplying bacteria and poor hygiene, result in dreadful foot odor and immense awkwardness. These guidelines will help you have nice smelling feet.
Liver Cysts rarely have any symptoms; nonetheless, the condition hampers liver functions considerably. Home remedies help treat the condition successfully and keep the liver functioning optimally.
No comments yet.