A Valentine's Day trivia quiz
Valentine's Day is nearly here so I thought you might enjoy testing your knowledge of historical events and trivia surrounding this most Romantic of holidays.
To participate in the quiz get out paper and pen or pencil and proceed to the Questions (there are 14 questions in all). Read each question and from the selection of four possible answers provided for each make your choice and write this down on your paper. Proceed then to the next question. At the end of the questions you will find the Answers. Here, you can tally up how many you got right!
Have fun and good luck!
1. There are several historic Catholic notables known today by the name Saint Valentine, but the first documented representation of a St. Valentine appeared in what book published in 1493?
a. The Nuremberg Chronicle
b. The Gutenberg Bible
c. The Septuagint Text
d. The Gospel of St. Ambrosias
2. Before Christianity took over Rome, what romantic tradition was popular on February 15th of the Romans' calendar?
a. for unmarried maidens to send love letters to the Emperor
b. for unmarried maidens to send love letters to unmarried men they were interested in
c. for unmarried men to send love letters to unmarried women they were interested in
d. for widowers to send love letters to widows they were interested in
3. According to legend, St. Valentine (the Christian martyr credited for starting the tradition of sending Valentine’s) was the first person to send such a greeting. It was a love letter penned to whom?
a. his wife
b. the Emperor’s daughter
c. his jailer’s daughter
d. his washer woman
4. Cupid is long associated with romance and the sending of love letters, including Valentines. Who was Cupid?
a. the son of the goddess, Venus
b. the son of god, Apollo
c. the half-brother of Zeus
d. the official mail carrier of Mount Olympus
5. What U.S. professionals receive more Valentine cards per year than any other?
c. child care providers
d. exotic dancers
6. On February 14, 1779, what tyrant was killed by the people he tried to deceive into believing he was a god?
a. Capt. James Cook
b. explorer William Clark
c. explorer David Livingstone
d. Puritan leader, William Brewster
7. In the Italian city of Verona the postal service is kept busy around every Valentine’s Day by having to sort through hundreds of love letters and greetings addressed to whom?
b. Sophia Loren
c. St. Valentine
d. Juliet Capulet
8. Candy printed with messages of love and affection have been around for centuries and have come in various, sometimes unusual shapes. One common -but perhaps curious- shape for Valentines candy in the Medieval times was what?
a. a horse tail
b. a pig’s ear
c. a cow’s udder
d. a pair of breasts
9. The famous St. Valentine’s Day Massacre occurred in what U.S. city?
a. Atlantic City, New Jersey
b. Chicago, Illinois
c. Cleveland, Ohio
d. Mayberry, North Carolina
10. What year did Hallmark produce its first Valentine’s Day card?
11. What actress, famous for portraying a TV Mom, was born on February 14, 1934?
a. Julie Kavner (Marge Simpson, The Simpsons)
b. Katey Segal (Peg Bundy, Married With Children)
c. Florence Henderson (Carol Brady, The Brady Bunch)
d. Alley Mills (Norma Arnold, The Wonder Years)
12. According to the Greeting Card Association, on Valentine’s Day men buy more flowers for their wives and lovers than anyone else. But who do women buy the most flowers for on this occasion?
a. their husbands
b. their children
c. their mothers
13. According to consumer studies what gift do men prefer to receive on Valentine’s Day?
c. lingerie (with their lady wearing it)
14. According to consumer studies, besides chocolates, candies, cards, flowers and lingerie what other item tops the biggest gift item in the U.S. during the week before Valentine’s Day?
1. a. The Nuremberg Chronicle
2. c. for unmarried men to send love letters to unmarried women they were interested in
3. c. his jailer’s daughter
4. a. the son of the goddess, Venus
5. b. teachers
6. a. Capt. James Cook
7. d. Juliet Capulet (from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet)
8. a. a horse tail
9. b. Chicago, Illinois
10. b. 1913
11. c. Florence Henderson (Carol Brady, The Brady Bunch)
12. c. their mothers
13. c. lingerie (with their lady wearing it)
14. d. condoms
What gift do you most hope to receive this Valentine's Day?See results without voting
More by this Author
A collection of funny and strange Mother's Day newspaper ads and greeting cards
A New Years trivia quiz to test your knowledge of the history and facts surrounding New Year and New Year's Eve.
40 sensuous love and romance songs that deserve to be on a collection album of their very own