Operation Write Home - Handmade Cards for Soldiers
What is Operation Write Home
If you enjoy making handmade cards, perhaps you should consider taking advantage of an organization known as Operation Write Home. Since it's debut in 2007, Operation Write Home's mission has been to encourage and support our troops by sending handmade cards for all occasions to our soldiers so that they can write their messages to their loved ones on these special heartfelt cards. To date, Operation Write Home has sent nearly 500,000 handmade greeting cards to our armed forces, and with your help, the number will continue to grow.
How Can I Help?
Handmade card makers are asked to create their most special blank greeting card designs and mail them to an Operation Write Home volunteer (identified on the OWH website) who will then process the card submission, log it into the database and ultimately ship it, along with other contributions, to our troops overseas. Donations of any dollar amount are also appreciated. If you would like to attach a donation, you can do so by attaching it to your greeting card submission, or through the PayPal donation feature on the Operation Write Home homepage.
Though all handmade card donations are accepted, there are a few guidelines that must be followed carefully.
- Size: Operation Write Home encourages cardmakers to use A2 sized cards (4 ¼” x 5 ½”) as it allows for more cards per box to be sent to our troops. Another benefit of creating a card in this size is that there is no need to send a coordinating envelope as the volunteers of OWH will provide one for you.
- No glitter: The presence of any type of shimmery material seriously threatens our soldiers’ safety as night vision goggles can expose the glittery substance and ultimately put our soldiers at risk by exposing their location. This is actually not even a guideline but an absolute deal-breaker. No glitter of any kind.
- Strictly handmade: Operation Write Home asks that you only submit your handmade greeting cards as they are much more meaningful and special to our soldiers and the ones they love. So please, no storebought cards.
- Deadlines: Birthday, thank you, or all occasion greeting cards can be mailed at any time, but if you are planning on donating handmade cards for a specific holiday, you must submit your card at least 5-6 weeks prior to the event to ensure your card will be received in time.
- Packing slip: All handmade cards must be mailed with a packing slip that includes your contact information so that a confirmation e-mail can be sent to you when your card has shipped. This packing slip can be found on the Operation Write Home homepage.
Operation Write Home Website
- Operation Write Home
For more information on this wonderful organization,as well as detailed instructions for how to donate your handmade greeting cards, please visit their homepage.
More by this Author
How to create a home-based handmade crafts business
Different ways to package your handmade greeting cards
Ideas for using inexpensive household items to store your favorite crafts.