Strange Holidays In October
Who Comes Up With These Anyway?
Most holidays are fairly normal: Halloween, Christmas, etc. Most have some cultural, or religious, significance, and are widely recognized and celebrated. These are not. So, where do all these weird holidays and observances come from? Well, anyone can create their own day, or even a week. If you want an actual national or international holiday, that takes a little more work.
A national holiday requires the work of Congress, and we all know how hard it can be to get Congress to actually do anything. It requires a vote. Another scary prospect for our Congress. But, putting politics aside, let's take a look at some of those strange holidays and observances that have been created, either officially or unofficially.
October is a Month For...
There are many things that October is the month for, aside from candy and pumpkins. Some of the stranger month-long holidays and observances are listed here.
- Celebrate Sun Dried Tomatoes Month- YUM!!! What to do with all those sun dried tomatoes?? Why not find some new recipes that incorporate those tasty little treats? Or try drying your own tomatoes. I have no idea how you would do that, but give it a shot. My guess is you just put them out in the sun, and hope for the best.
- Class Reunion Month- Uh-oh...is it that time again?? Do you dread your next reunion as much as I dread mine? Do we need a whole month to think about all those people we don't really want to see? Who got fat? Bald? Who really cares? I keep up with all of them on Facebook, isn't that enough?
- National Bake and Decorate Month- Now is the time to take that cake decorating class, spruce up your baking skills, and pretend you are Suzy Homemaker! I am just unsure if they mean bake and then decorate what you bake, or just decorate in general.
- National "Gain the Inside Advantage" Month- Put those skills to work this month! I don't know what this might mean to you, but I think you can figure that out for yourself. Schmooze your boss, so that maybe you will be the first person that comes to mind when a juicy promotion comes up.
- National Go On a Field Trip Month- If your kids have a field trip coming up, maybe you should tag along. When was the last time you visited a museum or an apple orchard? Maybe you can create your own field trip and ditch work for a day, or two, or ten. OK, so ten days is a lot more than a field trip, especially if someone decides to report you missing. Make sure someone knows where you are going.
- National Roller Skating Month- With gas prices the way they have been lately, why not roller skate to work? Get a work out and save money all that the same time!! If you can't roller skate, maybe now is the time to learn.
- Organize Your Medical Information Month- Remember that folder hiding away in the back of your filing cabinet? That one with all that important medical information in it? Pull it out this month and sort through it. You never know what you will find. Oops! Seems like it might be time to get that tetanus shot I am supposed to be keeping up to date...
- Positive Attitude Month- With the winter months looming ahead, it can be a pretty negative time. Winter blues, holiday shopping, family get-togethers, and too much food. Start off with a positive attitude!! I know it can be hard, but find something you love to do that will boost your mood. I love baking...that always puts me in a good mood.
- Squirrel Awareness Month- I have no idea why squirrels need a whole month, or what they have to be aware of. I guess it doesn't matter much. Take some time to be nice to the squirrels this month, instead of chasing them away from your bird feeders. Make the squirrels their own little treat, so maybe they will leave your bird feeders alone.
What Are We Doing This Week?
There are many weekly holidays and observances for the month of October. Many of them are mundane, or bring about awareness for illnesses or disorders, and are all well and good, but some are just a little strange. These fall into that third category.
- No Salt Week (2-9)- I guess you better hope you don't live in an area where it's already snowing. No cooking with salt or putting salt on your food for the entire week, either. Sounds bland, but healthy.
- Mystery Series Week (5-11)- Pick up a few good mystery books, settle into your favorite chair and have a read. Or, dig out that DVD set of an old mystery TV series. I guess this week is a good time to catch a few episodes of "Murder She Wrote". Is that show still on somewhere?
- Improve Your Home Office Week (6-10)- Need to clear some of the clutter in your home work space? Now is the time to buy that new desk you have had your eye on, or upgrade you fax machine. At the very least, straighten up the area, dust, or spruce up your office with a nice painting or plant.
- Getting the World to Beat a Path to Your Door Week (14-20)- I really have no idea...I don't know what to say to this...Sometimes it's not good to have the world beating a path to your door. Sometimes they have torches and pitchforks.
A Daily Dose of Strange
Almost every day has a strange holiday or observance. October is no different. October is not just about Halloween. Check it out! See what interesting, strange holiday you can celebrate today!!
- 1st- Fire Pup Day-Celebrating those adorable Dalmatians. Rent one of the 101 Dalmatians movies, or adopt a pet. Be cautious, though, dalmatians are not for everyone! They have a lot of energy!!
- 1st- International Day of Older Persons- A whole day to celebrate anyone who happens to be older than you!!! What a day to feel young! Give a hug to an older person, even if that person is only older than you by a day.
- 2nd- Guardian Angels Day-Has anyone done something special? Do you have a guardian angel in your life? Today is the day to honor those guardian angels, living and spiritual, who make a difference in our lives.
- 2nd- World Farm Animals Day-Let's go visit a farm and show those cows and chickens how much you appreciate all that they do for us. Please, do not hug the animals! They may not like it.
- 2nd- Name Your Car Day- Did you get a new car recently? Never got around to giving that clunker in the driveway a name? Today is the day to do it! Think of something unique.
- 3rd- Techies Day- A day to honor all the techie-types in your life. Maybe that IT guy at the office deserves a little recognition for all his hard work. Considering all they do for you, it's the least you can do.
- 3rd-Butterfly and Hummingbird Day- Today would be a good day to buy and put up a nice hummingbird feeder. I should buy one, too. That would be nice in my yard. I love hummingbirds and butterflies. I think each of them deserves their own day, though.
- 4th-Ten-Four Day- For obvious reasons. For those of you that don't get it...well, it basically means affirmative, or yes. As in, "That's a big ten-four, good buddy." Ask a trucker.
- 4th-World Card Making Day-Gather some scrap-booking materials and go to town! Make your own Christmas cards this year!! Oooh...that sounds fun!!!
- 4th-Toot Your Own Flute Day- Yep, today is the day when you can toot your own horn and get away with it! That just sounds dirty...eeewww...
- 5th- Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Day- Visit a Bed & Breakfast today, or maybe even start your own. I would love to take off for the weekend and check into a cozy bed & breakfast somewhere.
- 5th- Bath Tub Party Day- Maybe your bath tub isn't big enough for a big party, but who says it can't be just a party of one or two. Or maybe, make some Prohibition-style bath tub gin and have a roaring twenties party.
- 5th- Do Something Nice Day-Yes, I mean it! Go out there and do something nice for someone. It can be a stranger, a friend, a family member, or even an enemy. Time to get Kharma working for you!
- 6th- Mad Hatter Day- Time for a wild tea party, invite your friends, Alice and the March Hare, over for tea!! Wear a hat to work, or just break out that copy of Alice in Wonderland and relive a little of your childhood. By the way, I love you, Johnny Depp!!
- 6th- World Smile Day-Smile at everyone you meet. Put smiley stickers on everything. It may not change the world, but it will brighten everyone's day! And if everyone did it, it just might change the world.
- 8th- International Top Spinning Day-Longing for the simpler times of childhood can be alleviated today. Buy a top, and get to spinning!
- 8th- National Bring Your Teddy Bear to Work & School Day- You still have that teddy bear from your childhood, admit it!! Drag it out and bring it along to work with you. You may feel a little silly, but how can you have a bad day when you have a teddy bear with you?
- 8th- American Touch Tag Day- Go outside with your kids today and play some tag. Not only will you get to spend some quality time with your kids, all of you will get some exercise in the process. It's a win-win.
- 9th-Leif Erickson Day- Get your kids involved with this day. Teach them a little history. If you have no idea who Leif Erickson is, then you will be learning something new, as well.
- 10th- National Cake Decorating Day-This works out well if it happens to be someone's birthday. If cake decorating isn't your best skill, take a class, or watch some Ace of Cakes on the Food Network!
- 11th- National Coming Out Day- I wasn't aware that you had to wait for a specific day to do that...Well, if you waited for today, have at it!
- 11th- Universal Music Day- I guess the whole universe is behind this one!! Check out the hottest music from Mars or Jupiter today!! I hear Neptune has a really great band.
- 12th- International Moment of Frustration Scream Day- Today is the day to let it all out!!! Scream at the top of your lungs for all the things that frustrate the heck out of you!
- 12th- Destiny Day- Get that palm reading today, or check out your horoscope. What is your destiny? Find out today! Or, create your own destiny.
- 13th- National Kick Butt Day- Anyone been getting on your nerves? Is there someone who was the cause of that frustrated scream yesterday? Kick their butt today. Don't worry, it's OK, you know you want to!!
- 13th- Skeptics Day- Are you a skeptic? Do you question everything? I bet you even doubt that this day really exists, don't you?? Look it up, if you are so skeptical.
- 14th- Be Bald & Be Free Day- A day for all the bald people in our lives. Maybe today is the day you decide to shave your head. No, I will not be shaving my head.
- 15th- National Grouch Day- A day for everyone to be a grouch. No, this doesn't mean you need to paint yourself green and find a garbage can to hang out in. Let your inner grumpy person out today, or if he's already out, celebrate it.
- 15th- My Mom Is A Student Day- This reminds me of one of those stupid, "you might be a redneck" jokes. Has your mom gone back to school? Is she chasing that degree? Give her a present to let her know you are proud of her.
- 16th- Department Store Day- Now this really seems like a holiday started by one of those 'big box' stores, in order to get more people shopping.
- 16th- Dictionary Day- In honor of Daniel Webster's birthday. Open a dictionary up, and find a new word to use for the day. Learning something new every day is never a bad thing.
- 17th- Mulligan Day- A mulligan is a golf term for a 'do-over'. Today is a day for all of us to have our own 'do-over'. Is there something you have done where you wish you could get a mulligan?
- 18th- World Toy Camera Day- Pick up a toy camera for your kids, or take pictures of a toy camera with a real camera. Some "toy" cameras are pretty neat!
- 18th- No Beard Day- Shave it off!!! You will feel so much better! Remember, NoShavember is next month, so shave while you can!
- 19th- Evaluate Your Life Day- Most people do this around New Years', but why not start a little early. Plan out those resolutions ahead of time. Maybe you will actually stick to them this year. (secretly laughing to myself)
- 19th- Get Smart About Credit Day- Get that credit report. Cut up all those credit cards, or pay off some of your debts. Maybe it can be a resolution for the new year.
- 21st- Reptile Awareness Day-Maybe you have a fear of reptiles. Learn more about them, and conquer your fear. Visit an alligator farm, or go pet a snake.
- 22nd- International Day of Radiant Peace- In a perfect world, this would be great! I have no idea what 'radiant peace' is, but it sounds fantastic!!
- 22nd- Mother-In-Law Day- Today is the day to actually be nice to your mother-in-law. Invite her over for dinner, or take her to a movie. I actually love my mother-in-law! We get along great. It drives my husband nuts!
- 23rd- National Mole Day- Whether it's a small, furry animal, or a mole on your face, celebrate all the moles! Play some Whack-a-Mole today, and have fun! Or do something smart, and get that mole checked out. You know, the one that has been bothering you because it doesn't look quite right.
- 23rd- TV Talk Show Host Day-Ditch work today, and sit home watching Oprah and Dr. Phil!! Stay up late and catch some Jay Leno or David Letterman. Write that love letter to Carson Daly that you keep putting off. I could go on and on...there are way too many talk shows on TV right now.
- 24th- International Bandanna Day- Today is the day to wear a bandanna to work. Who cares if you are the CEO of a major corporation. What does it matter?
- 24th- Sour Day- Enjoy some sour candy or a tall glass of lemonade today. Make up some lemon tarts.
- 25th- Make a Difference Day-Honor someone who has made a difference in your life, or try to make a difference in someone else's life. Donate some money to a charity, help out at a homeless shelter, or just clean out some clutter in your own home.
- 25th- Sourest Day- I guess today is a lot more sour than yesterday was. Instead of lemonade, just eat a lemon.
- 25th- Punk For a Day Day-Today is the day for rockin' that faux-hawk!! Spray your hair bright pink, and listen to the Sex Pistols or The Ramones all day long! Hehe...that sounds like fun!!
- 26th- Horseless Carriage Day- This is 'CAR DAY', in other words?? Wash your car and take it for a long drive today. Horseless Carriage...LOL!
- 26th- Mule Day- Visit a petting zoo, and pet some mules today. Wear some mules to work or school, and, no, I am not talking about wearing an animal.
- 27th-Cranky Co-Workers Day- Everyone has a co-worker who is crabby and complains all the time. Try to cheer him up, buy him lunch, or just give her a friendly smile today. Maybe they will be less cranky tomorrow...
- 28th- National Chocolate Day- Today is the day to eat as much chocolate as you want and not feel guilty. None of those calories count today. Trust me! Would I steer you wrong?
- 29th- Hermit Day- Hide in your room all day today. Or, maybe move to a deserted island and hide from the entire world. Organize a hermit crab race! The choice is yours.
- 30th- Create A Great Funeral Day- Today is the day to plan that last great party of your life. Why not plan it yourself, instead of leaving your grieving loved ones to do it for you?
- 30th- Haunted Refrigerator Day- Check out Stephen King's story "The Mangler". There is a great story about a haunted refrigerator in there. Maybe today is the day to clean your own fridge out before it ends up haunted, or at the very least, before it starts to smell.
- 30th- National Candy Corn Day- Yum! Eat some of that delicious candy today. Candy corn is one of my favorites!!
- 31st- Books For Treats Day- Turn in those strange paper things for some yummy treats!!! I hope you don't give out books as treats. It is a sure way to get your house egged. Just give out candy like a normal person!
- 31st- Frankenstein Day-Dress up as everyone's favorite movie monster today. Watch an old horror movie or two today.
- 31st- National Caramel Apple Day- Have a little fun this Halloween, and make some caramel apples with your kids or your friends.
- 31st- National Knock-Knock Jokes Day- Today is the day to bring out that book of knock-knock jokes. Yes, you will probably inspire numerous groans from those that have to listen to an endless string of bad jokes, but it will be fun!
Celebrate National Candy Corn Day!
- Halloween Candy: Candy Corn
Typically, what we see that same candies on Halloween that we see all year roung, right? Well, the main difference is that when Halloween season comes around the calendar, candy corn also comes. Now,...
- Strange Holidays In November
Part of a series on the strange and silly holidays throughout the year. A look at the silly and fun holidays in the month of November.
© 2008 Anna Marie Bowman
More by this Author
Part of a series focused on the strange holidays throughout the year. A list of strange and silly holidays in the month of April.
The first month in a series on strange and interesting holidays throughout the year. These are the strange, funny, and amusing holidays that fall in the month of January.
Countless hours of research has led me to these 20 awesome horror movies from just the past few years. All of them are well worth watching.