Spelling A lot or A Lot - small and hugemongous words we use that don't exist and other common mistakes
Words we use that don't exist
As a writer, I have to double check my grammar, spelling, or word usage--even then I often miss something. One thing that still haunts me, probably from years of improper use, are using words that don't exist.
For example- Is it "a lot" or "a lot"?
For years I wrote a lot. Of course that was before the days when word editors underlined errors in red. Now I know that a lot of times I misspelled a lot!
Common words that ain't such a good choice and other confounding things
Many of these words are used every day. Some are not in the dictionary. Some are evolving as they integrate into our language.
- Regardless (informal for regardless or irrespective)
- Ginormous (use it all the time!)
- Ecscape (check spelling)
- Anyway (not a word), any way (in any manner, can substitute with "in the"), or anyway (in any case)
- Doing a 360 (doesn't that bring you back to where you started?)
- Stupider (more stupid is better)
- Flustrated (cross between flustered and frustrated)
- Boughten (past tense of bought?)
- Like (a real word just not, like, you know, like, what am I trying to say...like?)
- Orientated (the jury is still debating this one)
- Wellness (Gaining acceptance without clear understanding of what it means)
- Fixin (When I lived in Texas I used this all the time, y'all)
- Healthcare or health care
- Website or Web site (both are correct, but capitalize when it is Web site)
- E-book, ebook, or eBook (the dictionary shows ebook)
- Email, email, or e-mail (the dictionary shows e-mail)
- Amongst, Amidsts, Awhilst
- That vs. which
- Who, whose, whom
- Could of, should of, would of (of is have)
- Sherbet (I am guilty if this one- it is sherbet- who knew?)
- Try to...(fill in the blank- try and help, try and understand, etc. Should be "try to")
How do you know what to use?
Unfortunately you can't just rely on your word editor to think for you. For example, Google still shows as a misspelled word.
If you are in doubt of word usage, just type in the word to a search engine...but don't "google" it. Google doesn't like to be used as a verb (action word).
What are your favorite misused words?
We all have our pet peeves when it comes to writing. None of us are perfect! It is fun to laugh at our silly mistakes.
So, what are your favorites?
More by this Author
Every video and book jacket I see of Yoga instruction shows a thin, flexible person bending with fluid precision. But what about yoga for fat people? Is that even possible? One of the problems with being a plus...
Foreclosure timeline is based on two different types of documents and processes. One is called the "deed of trust" the other is called a "mortgage". It is confusing because most people refer to their...
There are many different fashions that come and go (remember the paper dress?). Most of these fleeting fashions are fads that emerge on runways for a season or two for fashionistas looking for something new. There are...