Self-Publish Your Book at Smashwords
First Things First
So, you've written a book. Not only a book, the great American novel. Or, the end-all, be-all of reference books. So, you're done, right? No.
I've heard people say that the hard part about writing a book is writing the book. I don't believe that. Writing the book is the easy part. Getting it published and then actually selling copies is the hard part.
Smashwords makes the publishing part easy! More than 30,000 writers and independent publishers publish on Smashwords. That equates to more than 85,000 books! This makes Smashwords the world's largest ebook distributor.
What is Smashwords?
Smashwords is an e-book publishing company founded in 2008 by Mark Coker. The idea behind the company is that anyone can write a book and upload it to Smashwords and it is converted into multiple e-reader formats (including: Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader, iPhone & iPod Touch, among others). The best part about it is that this service is FREE. Yes, I said FREE. It costs nothing to upload your book.
You can sell it for as much as you want or offer it FREE. When your book is published at Smashwords, you earn 85% of the proceeds. If your book is purchased through a retail site like Barnes & Noble, Apple, Kobo, etc., you earn 65%.
FREE Stuff from Smashwords
Smashwords offers numerous FREE services when you publish your ebook with them.
♦ FREE ISBN
♦ FREE ebook conversion to nine different formats
♦ FREE marketing tools
♦ FREE unlimited updates
My Book at Smashwords
- Smashwords - Alphamania: An Alphabet Resource for Teachers and Parents - A book by Cynthia (Cindy) J
Alphamania: An Alphabet Resource for Teachers and Parents is designed to allow teachers and parents of two to six-year-old children to explore the world around them in a fun and exciting way by using the alphabet. Children at this young age need expe
How to Publish at Smashwords - Step by Step
Steps to publishing your book at Smashwords:
* Write the book.
* Proofread the book.
* Let as many other people as possible proofread the book.
* Have a professional edit the book.
* Make corrections.
* Read Smashwords Style Guide
* Re-read Smashwords Style Guide
* Make changes to the book following the Smashwords Style Guide
* Design (or have someone else do it) the cover
* Follow the directions at Smashwords to upload your book.
* Market your book to everyone you know and even more people you don't know. Smashwords has also published The Smashwords Book Marketing Guide to help. There are great suggestions in there.
I have (so far) only discovered two things I don't like about publishing at Smashwords.
1. When I uploaded my book, I was #1049 in the queue, meaning that there were 1048 people ahead of me to publish their books. It took six plus hours for my book to be uploaded.
2. It also takes awhile for your book to be reviewed for possible inclusion in the Smashwords Premium Catalog - something you really want to have. It took me about 12 days for approval and I was anxious the whole time.
I think it's definitely worth it to give Smashwords a try, especially if you don't have a lot (or any) money to put up front to publish your book.
To SELL your book, you have to market it. Read everything you can about easy ways to market your book and actively pursue it.
More by this Author
Should I or shouldn't I go to my high school class reunion? Tough decision but I recommend that you go. Read these tips to ensure a great time.
There are so many things to do in the Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, area. There quite a few indoor attractions if the weather doesn't permit doing the outdoor ones. Here are my favorites.
Camping in the Southeast United States offers a variety of experiences, from the beach to mountains. Here are six favorites.