Sheila Wilson profile image 85

To Haiku Poets: Have you relaxed your focus on nature to include man-made objects and emotions?

I always have been a bit of a purist when it comes to haiku. I focused only on what is observable in nature. However, I knew that modern Japanese haiku has moved away from this narrow focus to include objects and even the intangible. I try to use the Haiku Society of America as a guide, and it seems as though they have accepted a much broader scope for haiku. I'm curious what other haiku poets are doing. Are you still restricting the focus on nature? How strict are you in following the other rules of haiku? (and if anyone mentions 5-7-5, I reserve the right to slap you)

chef-de-jour profile image93

Andrew Spacey (chef-de-jour) says

• Sheila Wilson profile image

Sheila Wilson 2 years ago

Well, the whole 5-7-5 syllable thing isn't a true rule of haiku. It's an English bastardization of the form. The English version ideally should be 14 syllables or less. I was thinking more of the true rules of haiku such as the use of a kigo.