Choose A Garden Plant Pot
Garden Plant Pots: What To Consider
When choosing a garden plant pot for your plant there are a few things to take into consideration.
You also want to use you common sense, which believe me or not isn't that common and make sure our garden plant pot has the proper requirements such as drainage holes. ;) To keep your plants healthy and happy and growing like weeds you need the right pot, read on to read up on some different kinds of pots for your plants!
What To Look For
So often people leave choosing a a plant to the last step, while it's not needed to know exactly what plant you getting you do want to have a general idea before buying a garden plant pot. Not all plants can live in the same conditions... so you do want to know the "type" of plant you are wanting. Here are some questions to help you:
- What are the water requirments for the plant? Can it survive in dry conditions?
- How big your plant be at full size? You want to make sure your pot has enough room to let you plant grow quite a bit before "re-potting" it into another garden plant pot.
Now that you know the size and such of you pot you want to continue asking your self questions like:
- How much sun will the garden plant pot be exposed to? Is it a direct sun plant or a shade dweller?
- Does you pot have a saucer, (a drip tray) to hold water that's run through? Especially in sun loving plants a drip tray can hold water that's run through and allow the plant to soak up the water it needs later.
- Are you leaving you plant outside during the winter? If you are in warmer places this may not matter as much but for places that get cold, snow even! You will want to make sure you have a water and frost bite proof garden plant pot.
Also you need to think about things like how often you might need to move your garden plant pot... if you may need to move it a lot or are moving it around for the winter, moving from shade to sun, any of the conditions you can think of you will want to think twice about getting a fragile or "Crumbly" pot.. and pot that easily breaks, crumbles, or shatters... is hard to move, any of the above should not be considered as a choice for this life style of moving... you will also want to watch your weight! No, not yours.. the plants! Remember that not only does the dirt add a lot weight but the pot does too so look out for this!
Basics to remember when choosing a Garden plant pot:
- Plastic pots don't do well in direct sun
- Ceramic pots are normally heavy to move
- Terracotta pots don't do well with excessive amounts of water and crumble easily
- Metal pots can rust with too much water
More by this Author
Star Gazer Lilies have several different meanings, all of which are beautiful. You can learn Stargazer lily meanings to help decide if the stargazer lily is what you want to have in your garden, your home, send to a...
Lilies are a very popular choice for planting in your garden, they are a beautiful, elegant, and usually brightly colored flower that often has a sweet smell to match. Read below to see different lily varieties.
The most common types of daisies grown as flowers, with pictures.