The Glass Measuring Cup: Standing the Test of Time
The Glass Measuring Cup: A Kitchen Necessity
I've always had at least a handful of glass measuring cups on hand. They are my most reliable and versatile tools in the kitchen. Glass offers a number of advantages over plastic and ceramic measuring cups. I even prefer them over stainless steel.
Learn more about why a glass measuring cup is so handy and find some to buy on this page.
Advantages and Disadvantages
When it comes to measuring ingredients while cooking, there are certainly many options. Plastic measuring cups are extremely affordable, ceramic can be pretty, and stainless is easy to maintain. However, if you want something long lasting, a glass measuring cup is one of the best options.
Glass is ideal for a number of reasons:
- A glass measuring cup offers a non-porous surface. This means that it won't absorb stains, flavors, or odors.
- Glass is easy to clean. Oil washes off more easily on glass and few things will stick to it. It's dishwasher safe as well, so handwashing isn't necessary.
- They're safe. You don't have to worry about glazes, paints, metals, or plastics contaminating or leeching into your food. Because most of these measuring cups are a bit heavier than plastic and many other materials, they tend not to tip over as easily either, preventing spills and breakage.
- Glass measuring cups are durable. A glass measuring cup may well last a lifetime. In fact, many people have some that have been passed down to them. They can tolerate extreme temperatures without deforming or breaking. You can pour boiling water in them, heat contents in the microwave with them, and refrigerate them. It is recommended however that users not go from one extreme immediately to the next.
- They can cut down on meal preparation time and clean up. With larger measuring cups, you can sometimes do all of your mixing in a single cup/bowl. This allows you to work more quickly and certainly helps reduce clean up time.
- Glass is easy to use/read. Glass can make measuring ingredients accurately a bit easier. Because you can see through it, you're able to pour in your ingredient and then get down on eye level to check to be sure it's measured as precisely. This isn't possible with stainless steel, ceramic, or plastic.
Probably the primary drawbacks to using glass measuring cups are:
- They are heavier. For kids or the elderly, they may be difficult to use in the larger sizes for this reason.
- Although they are safe in the microwave and in the refrigerator, you should avoid using them under a broiler, on the stovetop, and should not take them from one extreme temperature to the next due to the risk of breaking. Of course if you drop one, you are more likely to break it, or more likely your flooring if it is tile, than if the measuring cup were plastic or metal.
Choosing a glass measuring cup is of course a simple task. However you first need to determine which size is right for you. If you will be using it to mix up a cake, then a 2 quart size might be perfect. However, if you'll be measuring ingredients for a bit of salad dressing a one cup size might be sufficient.
Aside from size, it's also important to know the measurements used. For instance, if you're measuring for medicines or salad dressings you'll need milliliters and/or teaspoons/tablespoons indicated.
Lids and pour spouts may also be preferred features. Lids can allow you to store contents safely in the cup and some even offer a variety of pouring options such as sifting, pouring, straining, and sprinkling. These features make glass measuring cups even more flexible cooking utensils that can reduce the number of dirty dishes after meal preparation.
You might also consider how easy it is to read the measurement indicators. Many have bold red or black lettering that is generally easy to read. Some offer raised letters which don't offer as much visual contrast but on the otherhand, can't wash away over time.
Comments 5 comments
More by this Author
If you have to spend significant time in bed or prefer to sit on the floor, a bed rest pillow can be a back and neck saver.
Sometimes your desk, chair, or bed is just too low to be comfortable or safe. You don't have to buy new furniture. A good set of bed risers is an affordable and effective solution.
Many remember the classic rock of the 60s and 70s, but only some of us remember those instrumental hits that left a quieter but significant impression on music history. Relive them here.