How to Clean My Refrigerator Without Chemicals
Those Forgotten Left Over Foods Can Really Stink up the Refrigerator and Freezer!
With the best intentions we pack away left over food that remains at the end of a delicious meal. Three weeks later when rummaging through for a snack, we just can't figure out why the fridge reeks! Those little spills and old vegetables can make quite a fuss after a few weeks of neglect. Nothing screams "clean me" louder than aged cheeses or a milk spill that goes unnoticed. Here are a few tips for rescuing your by "Green Cleaning the Refrigerator and Freezer" from the smells bad blues!
That Not So Friendly Freezer Fragrance
When Your Freezer needs a good cleaning this is the best way to remedy the problem:
- Remove and place all contents in a cooler full of ice temporarily.
- Turn the temperature on the freezer side of the unit down. (If yours doesn't have a separate temperature control, simply leave the freezer door open for about 5 minutes.)
- Wipe down the interior of freezer, rinse thoroughly, replace food items, turn temperature back up.
Essential Oil Freezer Cleaning Recipe:
- ½ cup water
- 3 Tablespoons baking soda
- 7 drops eucalyptus essential oil
NOTE: For Refrigerator Cleaning use the same Cleaning recipe, just increase the essential oil amount to 10 drops.
Maintaining Freezer and Refrigerator Freshness Recipe
If simply maintaining a fresh aroma in the refrigerator is your goal, give one of these Essential Oil scented Recipes a try!
A Little Bit of Joe Goes a Long Way! (For those who love the smell of coffee)
- ½ cup fresh-ground coffee beans
- 8 drops essential oil (vanilla bean, mace, or ginger are great companion fragrances with coffee)
If Vanilla is more Your Style, place a small bowl in the fridge containing this recipe:
- 2-oz Vanilla extract (imitation extracts even works with this aroma)
- 3 drops Lemon Essential oil (adding lemon makes the fridge smell like 50/50 ice-cream bars!)
Make an Essential Oils Starter Kit
If you're just starting out and don't really have any essential oils on hand, then you may need a few tips on how to get started; you know, which essential oils to get first that are also painless on the pocketbook. A sort of essential essentials list. The chart below will help you get going in no time at all!
Essential Oils and Herbs Starter Kit Chart
What Do You Think About Green Cleaning?
Do You Use Essential Oils as Cleaning Agents?See results without voting
Have Suborn Odors in the Refrigerator? Try one of these Recipes!
Use the fresh herbs that are in bloom in your garden. Just cut a few stems of a fragrant rich plant, like sage, mint, or rosemary. Tie the sprigs together and hang them from a rack in the fridge. These super fresh herbs will keep things smelling great fro about 2 and a half weeks.
Place lining on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator that has been sprinkled with 10 - 15 drops of essential oils like, lemon, lime, grapefruit, or a sweet orange/tangerine. Take this out and replace it after 2 or 3 days.
NO SCENTS AT ALL:
A fresh slice of bread placed on a saucer can absorb several odors from your fridge. For a very slight fragrance you can add 2 - 4 drops of an essential oil scent you like best.
Essential Oil Cleaning and Safety
- Essential oils are a highly concentrated form of volatile oils extracted from plants and should always be used externally, NEVER internally.
- A few drops of essential oil is equal to 30 to 40 cups of herbal tea.
- Use extra caution when using food-related oils; citrus oils, in point, can be a tempting treat to a young child or pet who may think it is something tasty to eat.
- Essential oils can be irritating to sensitive skin.
A good practice to follow is, be just as safe when handling "herbs and essential oil cleaning recipes" as with those store bought chemical formulas. Keep out of reach of children and away from pets!
This article and all of its content is copyright protected ©2011 K9keystrokes
More by this Author
Simple methods for removing and preventing nasty yellow sweat stains that can damage your clothing. Just about everything is found in your cupboards! The rest is as easy as following a few directions. Also, a few tips...
No more harsh chemicals to clean away the tarnish from Brass and Copper treasures! A few tasty items from the kitchen and you are on your way to chemical free tarnish removal!
Here's a list of the people foods that are most commonly deadly for dogs. This list surprises even the most knowledgeable of dog people.