How To Fix Your Broken Kenmore/Whirlpool Washing Machine Agitator Spinner
If you have a standard top loading washing machine, chances are very good that eventually a simple part will wear out causing the Agitator (the center white spinner part) to stop turning while the washing machine is running.
Why is this a problem? The problem is that the Agitator is part that moves clothing from the bottom of the washing basin to the top (or opposite, depending on make/model). This cycles the clothing through the water and cleans the clothing much better.
Over time, however, a small part called "dogs" wear out on the inside of the agitator. These "dogs" are basically the little teeth that grab the inside and allow the agitator to spin one way, and not back again.
The Fix: Save Hundreds of dollars!
This is a simple fix that costs about $6.00, yes, the price of a fancy coffee!
1. Go to your local appliance repair parts store and ask for "Agitator Dogs". It comes in a 4 pack and will cost you about $6.00 or less.
2. Go home and remove the top of the center agitator. This should come off by pulling up on it. It will separate in 2 pieces about 1/2 way up.
3. Use a flat head screwdriver to pry off the cap that is now sitting on top. Once off, look down and you will see a nut (usually 7/16 inch)
4. Unscrew it with a socket wrench while holding the agitator still. It will want to spin as you turn the nut. Once the nut is off, you can lift up the entire agitator from the base of the washing basin.
5. Take out the center Assembly that is surrounded by little white teeth (looks like a gear, just reversed). You will see the little Agitator dogs sitting in holders on this center assemble.
6. Remove the old ones, drop in your new ones, and put it back together again. You're done!
You will notice now that the Agitator Spinner will move in only one direction (where before it moved both ways).
More by this Author
You probably just read about how to benefit from timeshare presentations and are ready to grab your free offers and take advantage of a presentation - great! STOP Before you enter into a presentation it is important...
Many, many people have complained about their Jeep stalling out for no apparent reason. Usually, this happens in a LOW IDLE situation where your RPMs are low - for example, a red light, or worse yet, during stop and go...