When people cared.....
Everyone helped everyone else
It was a pleasant world when people cared:
- People helped out during emergencies (and not just family)
- People took the time to say "Hi, how are you doing," and really wanted to know
- Handmade Halloween treates could be handed out to trick or treaters and they were safe to eat
- Neighbors said hi and really did have coffee together
- Business people really did have lunch with their friends (and they didn't charge it to the business either)
So what happened?
Did everyone go to sleep one night and wake up different? No, it happened gradually. There have been so many financial and political problems coupled with war and starvation that some people didn't even know where their next meal was coming from.
Is that what happened? Did we all just have so many bad things happen that we just couldn't care anymore? Or did we just stop care because everyone else did? Good questions. I wonder if any of us can answer them.
Ah, the good old days
Cola over ice on the porch swing. Fourth of July parades and BBQ's everywhere you look. Christmas caused smiles and warm greetings from friend, stranger, even foes. Bike rides to the beach for swimming fun with friends. Trips to the ice cream place for ice cream and a ride in the back of the pick up. Jumping into Autumn leaves and sharing a plate of cookies your grandmother made for you and your friends.
I know some of these, probably most of these, couldn't be done by some readers; but I bet you have some great memories of your childhood days tucked way back in some corner of the library of your mind (hint: look under the cobwebs, they might be there).
When neighbors were neighbors
When people cared:
- When neighbors spoke to one another
- Neighbors actually had parties together
- They actually helped each other out when things went wrong
- Neighbors cared about each other
- It was a wonderful world to live in when people cared.
- there are arguments about fence positions
- dog poo
- complaint issues about noise, cars, people, type of food, even the type of party they are having
- no more caring
- no more happiness
- no more neighborhood.
We do love to remember when, but we can also have a little fun on the way, right?
Do you remember when?See results without voting
So maybe I exaggerated a bit
Let's look at the facts.....uh....I don't think I can come up with anything that will change the conclusions. Can you?
I know there are lots of people out there who still care about their neighbors and help others out when things are tight and all that. It just seems these days that such people are hard to find. You watch the news and see fraud, murder, hatred, bombs, people who are supposed to be caring for our country being sent to jail for taking our money. See my problem?
So this is a formal call for all of you out there who care about others, who care about morals and justice (okay I don't want to get too far into it), just rise up and tell everyone who you are. Offer help to that little old lady. Watch the back of your neighbor taking in the groceries. Keep an eye on the kids that are out playing. Call 911 even if you aren't sure its really an emergency. And take a moment to tell us all in the comment section of this hub!
© 2011 Cheryl Simonds
More by this Author
Easy ways things you can do in your home now to save your wallet and the environment in the process.
A list of things you can do to make winter a little easier.
Information on why cats behave the way they do. Along with a bit of a gallery of my own babies.