Photos and Images from a Beautiful Rose Garden in California
Part 2 of the Shinn Park rose garden stroll...
In part one of our stroll through the Shinn Park rose garden, I mentioned that my mother was allergic to roses growing up. Despite that, I have always maintained a huge respect for the flowers that I have heard called "weeds with pretty flowers". I don't especially like the thorns that most rose bushes come with (one of the reasons that I don't have many growing in my own yard), but I do have to admit that roses have to be one of the most spectacular species of flowers on the planet. In no other species are there such a wide variety of colors, shapes, sizes and aromas. They can be so different yet so very alike with the usual stout, thorny stems. Because I love to take photos, I have expounded on the feelings I have at the end of this hub with more thoughts regarding roses. Enjoy the tour!
10 Facts about Roses
- There are over 15,000 different types of Rose and they come in a variety of colors
- The rose is named as the favorite flower of 85% of Americans.
- Rose hips have more Vitamin C than any other fruit or vegetable
- A fossilized rose - over 35 million years old - was found in Florissant, Colorado.
- Most rose flowers have five petals, with each petal having two distinct lobes.
- Roses are generally classified into one of three groups - Wild, Old Garden and Modern Garden roses.
- Roses are valued for their romantic symbolism but their blooms are also edible.
- The oldest rose in the world has flourished for over 1,000 years on the wall of Hildesheim Cathedral in Germany.
- Roses need 5 hours of sun everyday during their growing season.
- Deadheading encourages new growth on a rose bush.
Ode to a Rose
Oh Rose, you lovely splendid flower!
How can you be so beautiful
yet so wickedly unkind with your fierce thorns?
I have only attempted to show your beauty
through the lenses of my imagination
yet you are so brutal in your attempts
to hurt me!
Yet I still love you sweet Rose.
Your dazzling color,
your unmatched scent,
the sweet fragrance of your body
wafting through my nostrils.
Please be kind to me.
I only want to capture you
in a moment of time
for all eternity to see.
your flowing rippling petals
and capture hearts.
Thank you Rose for being you
Sweet fragrance capturing,
Petals silvery soft.
@Copyright Dorsi Diaz 2011
(Dorsi Diaz is a freelance writer/publisher, photographer and artist that lives in the San Francisco Bay Area. If you have enjoyed this hub and Dorsi's photos please subscribe to her RSS feed so you can be notified when she publishes new articles and photos. Thanks for reading and if you are ever in the San Francisco Bay Area, make sure you include Shinn Historical Park and Gardens as part of your itinerary. And don't forget to take your camera!)
Map to the Rose Garden at Shinn Park in Fremont,California
Hours Everyday 8:00 am - 30 minutes before dusk
More by this Author
Ideas with photos on how to make stunning and beautiful container gardens for your backyard, porch or front-yard. Beautiful pictures with ideas to help spark your imagination this year when gardening.
How to grow and harvest red leaf lettuce. Did you know you can also grow red leaf into the shape of a Christmas tree and use it during this holidays? Ideas and photos for red leaf lettuce lovers.
If you hit your head hard and are now feeling foggy, having head pain, or having trouble remembering, you may have a concussion. Check these symptoms and see if you need to go to the doctor.