How to get rid of mice in your home
Some humane mouse traps
Country mice may be cute but dangerous!
I was a bit reluctant in hiring an exterminator or investing in some mouse traps once I moved in a mice infested home. I always thought mice were cute creatures that did no harm. However, I was concerned about hygiene, not to add the substantial noise they were making when they scratched again the air vents and were squeaking amongst each other. Fortunately, they lived in the basement and my cats made sure they never surfaced in my home.
However, after learning about a potentially fatal disease transmitted by mice, I did not hesitate anymore in calling my exterminator. The disease is not too well known and it is called Hantavirus. While not that common, you do not want to take any chances with this disease as it is highly fatal.
Hantavirus is transmitted when humans inhale dusting made of mouse droppings. This occurs most likely when humans go to clean a dusty basement or attic. Ultraviolet rays seem to kill the virus. Symptoms may resemble a common flu, there will be fever, muscle aches and shortness of breath. The time frame between exposure and the beginning of the Hantavirus symptomatology is between 2 and 4 weeks.
So after learning about the health risks, I ensured that my exterminator stopped by. When it comes to getting rid of mice there are various methods. Each method has its pros and cons.
Cats can do a splendid job in getting your home free from mice. It would be preferable though, not to allow your cat to eat the mouse. There can be various diseases transmitted my mice. It is best not to take any chances.
Many types of rat poison contain anticoagulants such as Warfarin. What these poisons do is that they cause the mouse to bleed internally as their blood is no longer able to clot. While this method can be effective, it is not a good method if you own pets. Pets are attracted to rat poison and often consume it. Having worked at an animals hospital, I have witnessed many pets being poisoned by Rat poison.
These are effective methods of getting rid of mice. They allow you to dispose easily of dead rats. However, traps must be kept away from pets. Check the traps daily, you do not want the mice to decompose. Spray the dead rat with a bleach mix and then put gloves on and dispose of the mouse.
These are squares of paper with potent glue on them. If placed in strategic areas the mice will eventually walk on them and get stuck, I am not sure of how the mice die once they get stuck, I have personally picked up such trapped mice and they were still alive and breathing. So I guess it is a slow death possiblyy from starvation or distress.
-Live catch trap
This is the most humane way to get rid of mice. The mice will not die and you will be responsible for freeing them somewhere else. While this is a great way to get rid of mice, the disadvantage is the fact that you have to drive somewhere, as mice have been known to return if freed within 2 miles.
Mice may be cute to some and horrendous to others. Whichever your point of view, mice carry the potential to spread diseases. So you must take action to eradicate them from your home. Always practice care in disposing mice and call the experts to clean up areas covered in mice droppings to play it safe.
Learn more about hantavirus
And how to keep mice away
More by this Author
Learn effective vet-approved natural remedies to treat your dog's stomach problems at home. Find an easy-to-make bland diet recipe for your pup that you can make with food from your kitchen's pantry!