Our Dogs: 10 Most Common Household Poisons

 

Our Dogs: 10 Most Common Household Poisons

We Love Our Dogs - But These Are Common Household Items That Can Poison Them

We love our dogs, but just like our children they can get into things they should not and. . . heaven forbid. . .they can chew and swallow these items causing serious poisoning.

Human medications are the most common items causing serious poisoning in our dogs. Here are some other items to be aware commonly cause poisoning. Be aware of these common household items that often are lying carelessly around most homes.

Here is a list of the Top 10 Most Common Household Items Causing Poisoning in our Pets (in order of frequency):

  1. Drug Reactions
  2. Rodenticides
  3. Methylxanthine
  4. Plant poisoning
  5. Household chemicals
  6. Metaldyhyde
  7. Organophosphate
  8. Toad poisoning
  9. Heavy metals
  10. Antifreeze

Here is WHY these items are poisonous:

Drug Reactions: Many owners give their pets drugs intended for human consumption, such as over-the-counter pain relievers. Pet owners often give drugs for their ailments, unaware that they can be harmful to our dogs and cats.

Rodenticides: Even if these poisons (often in pellet form) are placed away from pets, rodents can carry them to pet-occupied areas.

Methylxanthine: This includes theobromine and caffeine, both of which are common ingredients in chocolate.

Plan Poisoning: Toxic plants include sago palms, tulips, oleander hyacinths, poinsettias, azaleas, lilies and amaryllis. Onions, grapes, and raisins are also categorized as plant toxins.

Household chemicals: This includes bleach, liquid potpourri, deodorants and other toiletries.

Metaldyhyde: A component of snail bait.

Organophosphate: This group of insecticides works to inactivate acetycholinesterase, which is essential to nerve function in insects and pets. Ingestion can occur through skin absorption or oral intake.

Toad Poisoning: Some species of toad, particularly along the Gulf Coast, secret a toxic substance when threatened or licked by dogs.

Heavy Metals: This group includes mercury, lead or excessive amounts of zinc, iron, cobalt, and copper. Pet may be exposed to heavy metals through lead-based paints, ingestion of pennies coined after 1982, vitamins, soil contamination, or water pollutants.

Antifreeze: Most pet owners are aware that antifreeze is poisonous to their pets; however, they may not be aware of a pool collecting from a leak under their car.

Once we know how poisonous these household items can be - we, as dog owners, can be more vigilant. Our dogs are our kids. . .and just like our kids we need to take precautions.

This data was compiled by Veterinary Pet Insurance of Brea, California.

Debbie Holte is a frequent contributor of articles on our dog's health and happiness for www.buddybeds.com whose company's mission is to improve the quality of life for our beloved animals.

More by this Author


Comments

No comments yet.

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.


    Click to Rate This Article
    working