At What Age Should I Begin Collecting Social Security? -- A Spreadsheet Tool To Help You Calculate When.
At What Age Should I Begin Collecting Social Security Payments? (USA) – A Spreadsheet Tool to Help You Find an Answer.
Age old question! Should I begin collecting Social Security (SS) as soon as I’m eligible or wait? Taking it earlier results in a lower monthly payment; taking it later results in a higher monthly payment. But, taking it sooner means you’ll collect for more years--if you live long enough.
First off: Let me tell you that you may find this article TOTALLY WORTHLESS. However, it WILL give you the CORRECT ANSWER and help lead you through the steps to make a personal decision on this important matter. Finally, I’m making available to you my personal “Delayed Retirement Planner for Social Security Benefits.” This neat tool will help you compare various retirement ages & benefits with the “full retirement age” benefit. (Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or click on "Contact William Turpen" to the right and I'll send it. No strings attached. I have nothing to sell!)
DISCLAIMER: I’m NOT a trained financial advisor in any way, shape or form. That's right, I'm proud to admit that I’m not an expert in ANYTHING; at least nothing related to finances or taxes. I’m a 61 year old former business owner who will soon have to make this decision and has struggled with it for the past few years. I’ve spoken to many “experts” and “advisors.” And I am pleased to tell you unequivocally that I HAVE THE ANSWER! Ready?
THE ANSWER: Here it is: The answer is: “It depends.” “WHAT? That’s it?” you moan. Okay, calm down. I know, you’re not happy with that answer. Neither was I. But it IS the correct answer and you need to understand that and not let anyone tell you otherwise. Everyone's situation is different. There are many, many factors to take into consideration. Your year of birth, past & current SSA eligible income, pension/IRA funds, short and long term goals and, yes, even the question “How long do you expect to live?”
IMPORTANT: Before you make this or any financial decision is it VITAL that you seek the advice of a licensed/certified/trained professional financial advisor. If you’re smart you’ll get the advice and guidance of more than one expert.
HOW TO LOCATE A PROFESSIONAL: (Coming soon. I’m completing research right now for a new Hub article “How To Find a Professional [Whatever].” To be notified when that’s posted, click on “Join William Turpen’s Fan Club” (in box on this page, top right side).
So, why am I writing this likely worthless article? Well, I guess I don’t really believe it’s totally worthless. (I just like to keep you expectations low.) The fact is, I know that hundreds of thousands of USA taxpayers are struggling right now with the question of when to start collecting. Second, as I mentioned above, I’ve developed a tool in Excel to help seniors like me to decide whether taking benefits before the “full retirement age” meets you needs and goals. (Email me and ask for the "Social Security tool" and I'll send it with no strings attached--I have nothing to sell.)
REMEMBER, I’M NOT A FINANCIAL PLANNER OR EXPERT. I’m an aging taxpayer who knows how to build a spreadsheet. If the spreadsheet can help you make an informed decision…great.
Okay, let get to it. Here’s my list of how to get to the answer you really want.
- Go to the Social Security Administrations website: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/estimator/ There’s a LOT of good information on their website that will help you make a decision. Read it. For now though, just do the following:
- Read “How the Estimator Works” and “Who Can Use the Estimator”
- Click on the box on the right side of the page: “Estimate Your Retirement Benefits.”
- After you answer the questions, you will be shown a very cool chart that provides you with a lot of good, if confusing, information. (Print the chart for reference.)
- There’re two numbers you’ll want WRITE DOWN. (You’ll need these numbers to use my SS Benefits Age Tool.) One is the “Benefits at Full Retirement Age.” The other is the “Full Retirement Age.”
- Armed with those two numbers, email me at email@example.com for my “Delayed Retirement Planner” (it's free and I'm not selling anything else). You’ll need Microsoft Excel or an Excel reader. (You can download the reader free. Google “excel reader” and select the link to Microsoft.)
Hopefully, you’ve found this worthless article helpful, or at least amuzing, and will let me know by giving it a “thumbs up.”
More by this Author
There comes a time in the live of every house when a remodel is ‘just what the doctor ordered.' We're not referring to a new paint job or even new wallpaper. No, we're talking about a true "dream it, tear it...
Garlic Bread. Do you LOVE SOFT CHEWY GARLIC BREAD as much as I do? Soft, hot, dripping with rich sweet buttery garlic!! Oh, man, that's GOOD STUFF! Some like crunchy crispy garlic bread, but my preference is...
Learn how to effectively store and thaw bagels. Safe slicing techniques are also provided.