Changing a Name on U.S. Treasury Bonds
Treasury bonds are government-backed securities that pay you fixed interest rates until they mature in 30-year terms. Because you know the exact amount they disburse, they are useful for long-term savings. Unlike savings bonds, which are issued in paper and electronic form, treasury bonds are only available in electronic form.
- Gather the information that you need for the transfer This includes the CUSIP number, which is assigned by the Committee on Uniform Securities Identification Procedures to all securities. You’ll also need the dollar amount of the security, the name and account number of both the original owner and the new owner, and the Taxpayer Identification Number or Social Security Number of the new owner. If you are transferring to a financial institution, you’ll also need its routing number, wire name, and the name and phone number of the agent handling the transfer.
- Fill out the Security Transfer Request form from the U.S. Department of the Treasury. However, do not sign the form.
- Take the form to an authorized certifying individual who is a designated employee of an insured depository institution, brokerage or corporate central credit union. Sign the form in front of him.
- Ask the certifying individual to sign the form acknowledging that he witnessed your signing. He must then fill out the name, address and phone number of his institution. Finally, he must apply his agency’s official seal or stamp to the form. Notaries are not acceptable for certification.
- Mail the document to the agency listed on the form. It must receive your form at least ten business days before the interest payment date and/or the bond maturity date. Once the transfer has occurred, you will receive a confirming Statement of Account.
More by this Author
Amassing $10 million is easy if you sell your tech company IPO shares, buy and sell classic cars or win the lottery. If you need advice on where to spend your windfall, check out these options, listed in no particular...
You already know that you can drive traffic to your site by using Pinterest. But you can also link your pins to Amazon and affiliate websites as shown by the following steps.
Even among the high-paying world of engineering, some jobs earn more than others.