Free Income Tax Preparation Sites Nationwide - How To Find Out If And Where Your State Is Participating.
January 3rd, 2010,
According to the Website www.irs.gov, nearly 12,000 free tax preparation sites were due to open nationwide in preparation for the filing of 2009's income taxes.
In close partnership with nonprofit and community organizations, the Internal Revenue Service implemented this free service in order to aid low-income and elderly taxpayers in both urban and non-urban communities, with the often overwhelming task of preparing and filing their income taxes.
In addition to the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program (which offers free tax help to people who generally earn *$49,000 annually or below), a program called The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Program offers free tax help to taxpayers who are 60 years of age and older.
Special attention will be given to military personnel and their families as well.
The Armed Forces Tax Council (AFTC) has partnered with the IRS to provide free tax assistance to these families, addressing military specific tax issues such as the effect of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) guidelines, and combat zone tax benefits.
* (less than $50,000 annually inSavannah, Georgia)
* Who Will Be Preparing My Taxes, And What Do I Need To Bring?
Though the program is free, this in no way effects the qualifications of those preparing your taxes, or the quality of the service you will receive.
Only trained IRS volunteers will be preparing your income taxes and according to www.irs.gov, most sites will use free electronic filing (or e-filing) which will enable individuals who take advantage of this portion of the program, to receive their refunds in half the time it takes for paper-filed taxes.
If the taxpayer opts to have their refund deposited directly into their bank accounts; refunds will arrive faster.
In addition, for taxpayers with limited English skills, many sites will be equipped with language specialists to assist those participants as well.
To get the ball rolling, here are the items you'll need to bring along:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Current year’s tax package if you received one
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms - as quoted/listed from the Website, www.irs.gov
* How Do I Find Out If And Where My State Participates In This Program?
Though nearly 12,000 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program sites have been made available nationwide, some states and counties may or may not offer this free service.
Generally located at local community and neighborhood centers, local schools and libraries, as well as local shopping malls and places of worship, the best way to determine whether or not your state or county offers this free program, is to simply call 1-800-829-1040.
So if you feel that you qualify for these free services, why not call the number listed above to see if your city or county offers this free service?
More by this Author
In 2008, the Website www.kidshealth.org ('s) Children's Health News letter stated that 1 out of every 10 child develops eczema. Fast forward to 2009. A local Savannah, Georgia news article stated that this figure had...
- 9Georgia Cyber Academy Review - A Learning Coaches Take On A Tuition Free Online Public School Program
public domain Before the invention of brick and mortar schools, home schooling has been the major method of educating our children. Granted, in earlier times this form of education took on a less academic scale for...
An outside view of the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta, Georgia. source: Veronica Allen On February 24th, 2011, over 200 Georgia Cyber Academy students as well as their families visited the worlds largest aquarium in the...