Reasons to Integrate Ethnic Groups: Time for Change
© by Jennifer McLeod writing as jenjen0703, all rights reserved.
Cultural Diversity Between Ethnic Groups
People have been migrating to America for centuries, yet issues regarding immigration and the growing number of immigrants has many people puzzled and others angry. There has been debate over the pros and cons of letting foreigners move into our country, America. Some people should be more tolerant to the fact that America is not made of just white people, nor is our government ran by them.
Help Women in Uganda-Beautiful Handmade Jewelry
- This is by far the dumbest myth I have heard about African Americans. My ex-roommate was racist and said that African Americans aren't human beings because they have an extra vertebra in their spines. HUH? This comment did not even earn a response from me.
- Middle Eastern Americans are stereotyped as terrorists, despite the fact that some of them might be Indian, Persian, or even Chinese. I have heard many people make biased comments that the Middle Easterners were coming to America to take over and destroy our country.
- The United States Government cannot afford to financially care for America, without having immigrants, taking part of America's money.
- Each country should take care of its own people. Americans should be worrying about other Americans.
- There are not enough jobs available for Americans, so we should not have to pay immigrants to work.
We All Are One
The Truth about Some Immigrants
I'm sure I can sit here all day and write examples, however the five myths I listed give a general idea about the ignorance and close-mindedness many people still view the world with. These attitudes are the reason racism and hate crimes are still present in this country. This is a sad shame because it is written in the Bible that we were "created in God's Image." There was no ethnic group or color specified in statement, but instead suggests that it applies to all people.
Over the years, I have accumulated various friendships with people from other countries. I have three friends from Nigeria, several acquaintances from Mexico and Puerto Rico, and know many people from India. In the time I spent building friendships with these people, I learned that they came to America for the same reasons we take for granted. They all wanted better lives for their families and a chance at financial independence. Two that are from Nigeria had little chance of being able to relocate to America, so when their names were chosen, they described it as being similar to winning the lottery. Some immigrants come to America to avoid exile and certain death. Certain issues, like war, can drive families out of their home countries in hopes of finding out the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Or in their case, the world. Mexicans and Hispanics are excellent examples of foreigners who come here to make better money. They are willing to work in America for less money than American-born citizens would work for, and they still think they are doing better financially at that price than back in their home countries.
We Don't Have to Look the Same To Be Friends
1) The first dumb myth, as stupid as it sounded, proves that there are many ignorant people on this planet. I had to tell my ex-roommate, "Well, if black people aren't human because they have an extra vertebra, as you say, then that must mean you're not human either, because you are missing one of yours!" (previous back surgery for a ruptured disc). It does not matter what color our skin is, we all still have the same blood types around the world. A Chinese man's blood can save my life, just as an African American woman's could, too.
2) Middle Eastern Americans are not all terrorists, nor are they all from Saudi Arabia or from some other Middle Eastern nation exclusively. Their customs, similarity in skin color, and Americans' lack of knowledge make it difficult to distinguish someone who is Persian from someone who is Indian. The United States government wasted millions of dollars trying to find Osama bin Laden, waging war in other countries. Why don't they spend that money where it was needed? Which leads me into the next myth.
3) Immigrants or no immigrants has little bearing on the American government and how they have mishandled our money. The government has borrowed money from us Americans, the money we paid to secure our financial future. I now fear there will be no Social Security for retirees when it is my turn to retire. If that happens, what happens to all the money I did pay into Social Security?
4) People are people, no matter where they come from. We should be looking out for mankind, not just the ones who are most like us. Someday, we might need these foreign resources if America crashes and burns.
5) Why wouldn't American companies want to save money and hire foreigners? The economy is terrible right now, and many of these immigrants are willing to work for lower wages. This is helpful for businesses who are struggling to stay open.
We are not living in the 1950s anymore. Everywhere we look, we see people of all types, not just white Americans.
We should treat others as equals, despite where they came from.
Make it a point to talk to people who are "not from around here." Ask them where they are from and show an interest in their heritage. This is a huge step in bridging the gap between isolation and integration for immigrants.
More by this Author
Trolls can be found in many places on the internet. Dealing with trolls can be irritating. This article will help you understand what a troll really is...
Anesthesia is necessary when having to have surgery. Sometimes the patient can choose between regional and general anesthesia. In certain situations, the patient can choose both. Read on to find out why.
Dealing with a narcissist is an irritating and draining experience. Living with one is even worse. This article gives helpful advice for how to outsmart and avoid falling prey to a narcissist.