jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Canadian Fire

1. Annsalo profile image86
    Annsaloposted 13 months ago

I know we have quite a few Canadian Hubbers. Are any of you near the part where the fire is or know anyone being impacted by it?
    Just wanted to make sure our Canadian hubbers are safe and ok.

2. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 13 months ago

I live 2,300 km east of the Fort McMurray fires. Thankfully all we have to bellyache about is the traffic congestion caused by the construction of a light rail system. The catastrophe in Alberta puts things into perspective.

Annsaloposted 13 months ago in reply to this

Good to hear! Traffic congestion sounds a lot better!

3. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 13 months ago

It was just reported by the CBC that the fire is now eight times bigger than it was yesterday, Wednesday. People are now being evacuated from the places they were evacuated to first. There are some triple-evacuees. This is a monster and it's a miracle that there have only been two fatalities and those were in a car accident along the evacuation route.

Annsaloposted 13 months ago in reply to this

It bothered me so bad that this morning there were no reports on where people could donate. I felt if this had been happening somewhere other than Canada they would have made important announcements about how and where we could help.
      I had to track down the Canadian red cross to get answers. I hope we step in and help. I don't know how or where that would even begin, but this is awful!

1. Rupert Taylor profile image95
        Rupert Taylorposted 13 months ago in reply to this

redcross.ca is the place to go. The federal government has pledged to match any donations, but that probably only means donations within Canada. Anything from outside Canada would be gratefully received.

2. eugbug profile image95
      eugbugposted 13 months ago in reply to this

Maybe I'm naive about this but I always wondered why at least a 100 metre fire break isn't put in place between forest edges and buildings to prevent them catching fire? Or are trees grown in close proximity to homes to provide shade in summer from the scorching hot sun in a continental climate? Possibly a fire break wouldn't be of any benefit and sparks blown by the wind would simply set timber fabricated dwellings on fire, even at long distances?

working