jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

The Democrat's Halliburton

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60
    uncorrectedvisionposted 4 years ago

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld … 3298.story

No bid contracts, bogus costs, big contributors, big connections - those neo-cons must have switched political parties.

1. 0
      Texasbetaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sounds pretty bad, but I didn't read the entire article. I am not shocked really. So, then you acknowledge the horrendous and illegal acts of the Republican's Halliburton? Interesting. Didn't think I'd ever see the day.

2. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 4 years ago

Both parties serve the same masters really, and it works well. So long as one side is 'the bad guy' the other side will default to 'good guy' status, meaning they are always in power.

I wonder what its going to be like to live in a world where food has more value then money…..

uncorrectedvisionposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Non sequitur and paranoid.  I would suggest another viewing of "Soylent Green."  The dystopia envisioned by science fiction writers, enviro-mentalists and Malthusians everywhere is unlikely to happen without a global catastrophe.

http://www.fao.org/english/newsroom/new … 28-en.html

1. kirstenblog profile image77
        kirstenblogposted 4 years ago in reply to this

In the states and other similar countries producing their own food should not actually present that huge a problem. Here in the UK it could become a very serious problem in the very near future. We just don't produce anything like enough food for the UK populace and the space to farm isn't there without eating into green belt land that would be illegal by the laws of the land. Having a small garden patch or allotment could very easily become a privilege that people would happily pay to have. As it is, food prices have risen by a huge amount and many people are having to make the choice, do they eat or do they put the heating on? This was a real problem for many pensioners during the cold snap we had last winter and I have noticed staple item prices have gone up (things like milk, bread, etc.). I don't think there is anything paranoid in me stocking up on raw beans, tinned foods, rice and a good slow cooker. Worst case scenario, this winter will be every bit as bad as they predict and are preparing for, shops start to run low on food stocks and with the non-perishables in the house, we could eat well for more then a month with no need to buy from the supermarkets at all. To be honest, the economic woe's of the EU could be enough of a catastrophe for this part of the world to need to worry.

uncorrectedvisionposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I respect your experience in the UK with food supply problems.  Some of those problems are complicated by things that have nothing to do with the actual production of food but rather with politics and regulations.

I live in an state with a deep and rich agricultural base but would advise everyone to have a good supply of food and water stored.  In my state winter ice storms and exceptionally harsh storms make eating problematic.  My son lives in a high risk area for hurricanes - he has a months supply of food and water stored.

During the Medieval warm period Britain grew wine grapes, during the Little Ice Age Londoners skated on the Thames for months at a time and winter carnivals were frequent.  I sympathize with the volatile conditions Britain may face in the future.

2. 0
        Texasbetaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

So where is your writeup on Halliburton or KBA? I am assuming you have one being as you are so vigorously entrenched in this one, citing Halliburton in the title. Did I overlook it?

2. EmpressFelicity profile image83
      EmpressFelicityposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, totally agree - what surprises me is that so few people understand this.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 4 years ago

A lot of innocent people will have to be murdered for this to become another Haliburton.