Warning Signs of a Disastrous Relationship
Webster's Dictionary defines the following:
- Main Entry: di·sas·trous
- Pronunciation: \di-ˈzas-trəs also -ˈsas-\
- Function: adjective
- Date: 1594
— di·sas·trous·ly adverb
Main Entry: re·la·tion·ship
- Pronunciation: \-shən-ˌship\
- Function: noun
- Date: 1741
1 : the state of being related or interrelated <studied the relationship between the variables>
2 : the relation connecting or binding participants in a relationship: as a : kinship b : a specific instance or type of kinship
3 a : a state of affairs existing between those having relations or dealings <had a good relationship with his family> b : a romantic or passionate attachment
We have clearly defined "disastrous relationship," but more specifically, let's devote this Hub to relationships with a romantic or passionate attachment.
Here are a few signs (actually consider it a checklist) to determine if your relationship is on shaky ground. You may already recognize some of these signs, but maybe needed to see them in black and white in order to confirm your feelings about the relationship you are in.
- Does the person have active substance abuse issues? Don't make the grave mistake of believing that your part in the relationship can pull them out of this trap.
- Does the person make past partners responsible for the failure of their previous relationship? This may be a sign that the person can/will not assume responsibility for their part of the relationship.
- Does the person have anger management probelms? - How does the person deal with negative emotions, both in public and when alone with you.
- Is the person controlling? - Does the person always have to be right or have their own way? Are they humble enough to admit when they are wrong and make amends?
- Are they honest? - Does the person treat you differently when you are around family and friends?
- How about commitment? - Do you feel insecure when you are with the person and you are around other people (mainly the opposite sex) because they are always "checking out" others?