Practical Ways To Move On After A Breakup
Anger, sadness, confusion and feelings of betrayal are all emotions and mental states that one can experience after going through a breakup. People are different, and how each of us deal with disappointments vary, including the dissolving of a romantic relationship. However, there are certain principles that a person can practically follow to deal with the harsh psychological impact of a breakup.
- Being honest about your emotions is fundamental.
Failure to acknowledge those feelings that can be so powerful is true
self infliction. This is like a person who has a physical wound that
bleeds profusely; denies the severity of it and in effect doesn't attend
to it. What will happen to that wound? Infection? Gangrene even? No
matter how ridiculously immature, intense or disturbing these feelings
may be, it is always wise to be aware of them.
- Physical activity is a great way to release inner tension. The mind and body are intertwined, and the state of one can influence the other. Physical activities can range from aerobic exercise, weightlifting, team sports, jogging and even dancing. Finding a physical activity that suits you is the key.
- Be balanced in your assessments of
yourself, your former partner and the relationship. It is
quite common for a person to take mental extremes after a breakup,
either taking the state of a victim or taking ultimate responsibility
for the breakup. Both of these extremes are unhealthy and will prevent
one from resolving inner issues. At times it can be helpful to have
those questions that keep buzzing in your head answered by your ex.
This in itself can aid you into having a realistic perception of the
shortcomings of both you and your former partner.
- Being reasonable with your Ex can be quite therapeutic. Getting even may give you a sense of power, but it won't heal you. Be kind to your ex regardless of the pain he/she has afflicted on you, and decide to forgive. Getting all worked up when having any interaction with your ex is a clear indication that you are not over him/her.
- Surround yourself with positivity. Inspirational friends, good music, motivating movies and fun activities are all elements that will help you keep a healthy state of mind amidst the hurt and pain. Being positive doesn't mean pretending as if nothing is wrong, but it will prevent you from a downward spiral of depression.
- "Laughter is good medicine!" Have a good joke, and allow your body and mind to relax. So much study has gone into laughter proving it to be an effective natural human behaviour that relieves stress and tension and even reduces depression.
- Be decisive and avoid going in psychological circles. Realize that which you want, if it is to try to get your ex back or move on. Breakups can be a blessing, because it is a time to re-evaluate and understand yourself much better. Make a decision on what you believe is best for you and stick to it, even if it hurts.
Even though persons may be able to relate to the emotional pain that you go through, you are the one who can truly make account for what you feel. It is your responsibility to take care of your mind and heart, and that takes tremendous effort. It is worth it.
More by this Author
The harmful effects of high heels are verified by orthopedic surgeons. Find out about these dangers, and how you can avoid the harmful effects while still wearing heels!
Is his silence deafening? Are you having a challenge understanding what's going on in his head? His silence may not be what you think. There are two huge reasons why he is the way he is. Check it out.
Now the usual categorization of birth orders is First Born, Middle Child, Last Born and Only Child. However, Cliff has discovered that there are not just four birth orders but actually five. These five are: First Born,...