Steps to Overcome Anger
Make no friendship with an angry man,
And with a furious man do not go, (Proverbs 22:24 - NKJ)
What is Anger
Anger is a basic human emotion that is experienced by all people. Typically triggered by an emotional hurt, anger is usually experienced as an unpleasant feeling that occurs when we think we have been injured, mistreated, opposed in our long-held views, or when we are faced with obstacles that keep us from attaining personal goals.
Anger is perhaps the worst emotions which need to be controlled. From time to time we are all face this strong emotion. Some common causes of anger include frustration, hurt, annoyance, disappointment, harassment, and threats. This helps us to realize that anger can be a friend or enemy, depending on how we express it. Knowing how to recognize and express anger appropriately, can help us to achieve these goals, and overcome the anger, solve the problems and even protect our health. Like the Proverbs said, bad emotion (anger) could be transferred. Good emotion will bring good influence to other people and vice versa. When someone living in anger, hatred, and do not want to forgive, then the person could suffer a vulnerable disease. It's hard to explain what is the connection between anger and disease but like many people with hard disease (not all), they seem to keep hatred and anger feeling inside.
People are vary in how easily they get angry and how bad their anger are. How often anger occurs, how intensely it is felt, and how long it lasts are different for each person.
Simple Steps to Overcome Anger
1. Take a deep breath and exhale it slowly.
2. Take some minutes to calm down, close your eyes and pray if you can pray. Or just meditate for few minutes. Give praises to the Lord.
3. Stop thinking things that could make your heart 'boiling'.
4. Put yourself on someone's else shoe. It sometime could make you understand the situation clearly.
5. Keep in your mind that we are all human that still make a mistake.
6. Learn how to laugh at yourself and find a good humor in every situation.
7. Learn how to be more relax.
8. Perhaps you often hear that expressing anger is better than keep it, but out of control anger could be dangerous. It will sooner or later hurt people around you. Out of control anger alienates friends, co-workers and family members.
9. Learn to trust other people. If you learn to trust people, you could reduce your anger to them.
10. Learn to be a good listener. This skill will increase the understanding among people. Anger may caused by lack of communication and miss understanding. Like your spouse is angry with you because you don't understand what he or she means and get more angrier when you demand some explanations.
11. If you are angry with someone, tell him or her what made you angry. Explain to them what bothered you.
12. Learn to forgive. Once you forgive, your anger will vanish and your burden will be released. Life is too short and too beautiful to be filled with anger.
Anger Management Medication
There is no medication that directly deals with anger, so the medication prescribed is usually an anti-depressant to help reduce anxiety and stress. These drugs need to be provided and monitored by your physician. Ask for help, attend the anger management meeting also help to overcome anger. Talk about it.
Domestic abuse, road rage, workplace violence, divorce, and addiction are just a few examples of what happens when anger is mismanaged.
Better to dwell in the wilderness,
Than with a contentious and angry woman. (Proverbs 21:19 - NKJ)
More by this Author
I don't know about you, but in my country there is one Korean Historical drama that really attract many attention lately. That's The Great Queen Seon Deok (Seon Deok Yeo Wang). My national TV that had the broadcast...
Living in a tropical country makes me more prefer wearing sandals. It's more comfortable, light, and cool. I used to wear stylish sandals for outdoor activities and rubber sandals when I'm home. Most tropical people...
MBC Korea has one new Saeguk (Historical) drama series. The title is "Dong Yi". This series replace "Pasta" and "The Great Queen Seon Deok". Directed by Mr. Lee Byung Hoon who had been...