Youth Group Bible Study and Activity on Repentance
Theme: The Lost Get Found
(30 minutes) Opening Prayer, Welcome and Worship Time
(30 minutes ) Break off into groups to do the Bible Study
(30 minutes) Puzzle Competition Activity with all groups
* Each group will be given a small 50 pieces kid's puzzle to complete.
* Flip it over and there is a verse on the back. (Before the meeting put the puzzles together and then write a scripture verse from the Bible study on the back.
* First group to complete puzzle will get a prize
* The catch - Wait for the kids to work on the puzzles for a few minutes and then mention that one of the pieces of your puzzle is hidden somewhere in the room. (You will take one piece from each puzzle and hide it somewhere in the room prior to the meeting starting.)
(20 minutes) Explain how it relates to the excitement God feels when we repent and are FOUND by Him before going into Worship.
(10 minutes) Announcements
Closing Prayer and Fellowship
Bible Study on Repentance
* Open with Prayer.
*Read out loud about the woman who lost the coin from Luke 15:1-32.
* Reread…’Rejoice with me because I have found the coin that I lost.’ In just the same way, I tell you, there will be rejoicing among the angels of God over one sinner who repents.
* Take a minute so that everyone can silently reflect about the a time when they have sinned against God.
* Discuss: How does the devil sometimes make us think so much differently than the verse that Jesus spoke? Have you ever felt that God could never forgive you for something you have done? Have you ever felt that you were “unworthy” to be at youth group or church because of something you had done? How can we be more prepared next time we fall into sin to focus on Jesus’ words rather than what the devil would have us think?
* Read aloud from Luke 15:1-32 the story of the lost sheep
* Re-read…’ Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.’ I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance.’
* Take a minute to silently reflect about the last time you saw someone who was “lost” or in sin.
* Discuss: How do you feel when you see others who are falling into sin? How do you feel when they come back to God? How can we better love our fellow sinners in the way that Jesus does in this parable?
* In the Reliant K song Be My Escape they sing “ but the beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair.”
- Do you think that is true? What do you think they mean? Have you ever felt that life was not fair due to the grace given to others?
* Pray using the last verse… “ he was lost and has been found” either for yourself in thanksgiving for God’s love, grace and mercy over all our sin or for a friend/family member that needs to be found.
Comments 4 comments
- Youth Group Ideas
As a volunteer youth group leader for the past seven years, I have read many interesting books, magazines, and blogs on youth ministry. Very few of them would work for a small group, run by volunteers, and...
More by this Author
To Whom It May Concern: It is with great pleasure that I recommend_________. I have known Matt for the past five years. He has worked for our family as a babysitter for our three boys during this time. My wife and I...