Stainless Steel Water Bottles
With more and more people becoming health conscious and concerned about the environment, we’re beginning to see some exciting alternative products hit the market. One fairly new product that is taking the country by storm is stainless steel water bottles.
People on the go often take along water in order to stay hydrated. Water is an important part of staying healthy. The problem is not all sports bottles are created equal and lots of resources are used in the production of plastic.
Many of the tough durable plastic bottles, that I normally associate with the ones like seen attached to bicycle frames, have come under scrutiny. According to GreenFeet.com these types of plastic bottles are made from Lexan polycarbonate resin that was developed back in the early 1950’s by General Electric. A 1998 study by Dr. Patricia Hunt at Case Western University in Ohio discovered that plastic products made from polycarbonate resin can actually leach bisphenol-A (also known as BPA) into the contents of the bottle which is a “potent hormone disruptor that can impair the reproductive organs, have adverse effects on tumors, breast tissue development and prostate development by reducing sperm count.”
BPA leaches into the contents of the water bottle just through normal wear and tear and even by exposure to heat and/or cleaning. Simply leaving your plastic water bottle in the sun while you exercise is enough.
The conclusion by many is that there is no safe way to utilize polycarbonate resin in water bottles.
A 2003 study conducted by the University of Missouri confirmed these earlier studies but went on to add that even exposure at room temperature would still allow BPA to leach into the water in the plastic bottles.
Switching to Stainless Steel Water Bottles
A durable alternative to plastic water bottles is stainless steel water bottles. They are lightweight and come in a variety of sizes, shapes, colors and designs. There are even tons of exciting accessories popping up on the market as well. Shop around to find the features most suitable to your lifestyle and needs.
Some quick facts and tips:
- Most stainless steel water bottles are made in China and made of 18/8 food-grade stainless steel
- Most are not insulated which makes them more suited for cool liquids rather than warm. They also sweat. However, they make insulating sleeves and totes for them.
- Do not freeze them.
- Painted designs on the stainless steel bottles can be damaged if you don't handle with care.
- People allergic to nickel should avoid stainless steel water bottles
- Make sure the stainless steel water bottle you chose is not lined with an epoxy finish. You want one that is stainless steel inside and out.
- To avoid bacteria, wash your bottle with warm water and biodegradable dish soap.
- When you clean the bottle, also make sure to wipe the mouth of the bottle and the lid.
- Let the container dry before refilling.
- Do not leave liquids in your container because this allows bacteria to develop.
- How to Stay Cool on a Hot Day
Growing up in Texas, we learn pretty quickly what activities you can do to stay cool in the hot summer months. We often have temperatures over 100 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 and 60 days in a row! What can...
More by this Author
San Antonio, Texas has some great haunted hotels. See what guests at the haunted Emily Morgan Hotel in San Antonio have to say about their visit!
Learn about the famous Von Erich family. These wrestling legends have quite a life of tragedy.
A fascinating look at Beatrice Wood, the woman James Cameron modeled Rose Dewitt Bukater Calvert after in the movie "Titanic".