jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Olympia Country Parade

1. ptosis profile image79
    ptosisposted 4 years ago

How many countries in the parade can you point to a map? I'm testing myself as I watch.

2. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

I have a world map on my wall.  I know where a lot of them are, but I'm not sure about one I heard towards the end.. Vanuatu.  ?

I enjoyed watching the opening ceremonies,  fantastic show UK.
    I'm excited for the games, I love the summer games.

1. Greekgeek profile image97
      Greekgeekposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Oh, there's a bizarrely obscure tidbit I actually know! Vanuatu is an island in Polynesia. Its name comes up almost every day on my Twitter feeds of recent earthquakes. It's in the same general area as Fiji and the Solomon Islands. That's all I know about it, though.

I only caught the tail end of the ceremonies after tracking down a bootleg BBC feed (mea culpa) since NBC blacked us out. I got in on Sri Lanka. Fun watching all the different countries coming in.

All these places we've never heard of, where people are living and doing things.

1. ptosis profile image79
        ptosisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I only know Vanuatu because the Calvary Church sent a mission over there.

I didn't like the voice over, he kept bringing in political stuff which should not be part of the games. When Uganda came out, he mentioned Idi Amin - who is no longer the leader - so why mention? Got to see a bunch of peoples normally won't see at all, N. Korea, Syria, Iran, Yemen, I I think the countries full of blondes are the most gorgeous other than the ladies from Sri Lanka.

3. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

Thanks GG, I'll check it on the map. They were dressed so colorfully!  It makes sense they are South Pacific islanders.  If you have a chance, you should watch a repeat or find videos online of the entire ceremony.  It was amazing.

I just looked at the  map and found it.  My father served in the South Pacific during WW11, but I don't recall him mentioning this island.

4. Green Bard profile image91
    Green Bardposted 4 years ago

I am glad to say my geography is pretty good though the names of countries have certainly changed a lot from when I was in school.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

Benin, Comoros, Djibouti, Eritrea and Montenegro!