Yankees begging for pitching!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)
  1. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

After cc and hughes the yankees staff is in disarray! Ajs ok, nova's young, garcia and colon are trying to regain old form! Now they signed Kevin Millwood, there an injury away from having a staff as good as the o's.

2. chip22 profile image60
    chip22posted 13 years ago

As a Yankees fan I must sadly agree. They have some good youngsters supposedly down on the farm - but you know how that is!

I look for them to make a move for King Felix before the trade deadline.

1. fauxhawkrawk profile image59
      fauxhawkrawkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The M's have no reason to trade Felix. He's under team control for multiple years on a team-friendly deal. The few teams who are in a position to make a deal like this wouldn't gut their farm systems anyway.

3. optimus grimlock profile image60

i have a better chance off winning the lottery then that trade happening

1. I am DB Cooper profile image63
      I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They'll have to be willing to part with some of their prospects, which so far they've been unwilling to do. They have multiple young catchers that other teams are interested in, so they'll probably have to put one on the trading block if they want to nab a superstar.

4. profile image52
    froggywentcourtinposted 13 years ago

How the Yankees let Cliff Lee go to Philadelphia is beyond me. With Pettite gone, that leave Sabathia as the only lefty they have as far as a starter. My suggestion is to go ahead and make Chamberlain a starter and leave him there! Trading your prospects is NOT the answer.

Lee preferred Philly over New York, even with a better deal from the Yankees. Considering the difference in taxes and his preference for Philadelphia, the Yankees probably would have had to offer him a lot more money (like record breaking territory) to lure him to New York.

I really don't see how moving Joba to the starting rotation will help anything. He's failed miserably as a starter (other than a respectable record, which tends to happen when you play for the Yankees), and it probably has a lot to do with the fact that he pitches with a lot of emotion. He doesn't hold back his fastball to preserve his arm for later innings and he doesn't have enough variety in his pitches, which is why he would get hammered in the 4th or 5th inning. In his one full season as a starter, he had a WHIP of 1.54, which is downright awful. His strikeouts/9 innings goes from about 10 as a reliever to 7.5 as a starter.

As good as the Yankees bullpen looks, they will need Joba there. Rafael Soriano had a better season statistically than Mariano Rivera last year, but he's also a pain in the neck. His little temper tantrums will grow old in New York, and Girardi will prefer turning to a loyal Yankee like Joba in some spots.

Trading prospects is usually a bad idea, but the Yankees have a unique situation. They've got several really good prospects who are essentially being blocked from the major league club by aging veterans who can't be moved. I think they should trade some prospects to fill in the holes they've got now, because quite frankly the Yankees fans aren't going to accept a "rebuilding year", which in this case just means "waiting for some old farts to retire".

5. optimus grimlock profile image60

Lee would of stayed in texas before going to new york! The fact that his lid got treatment in a philly childrens hospital is was got him to leave texas!

6. optimus grimlock profile image60

they could always get wandy rodriguez lol

7. Gaarf Rosewell profile image57
    Gaarf Rosewellposted 13 years ago

Maybe Bartolo can hold up to July!

8. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 13 years ago

Any pitching staff that's giving a rookie a chance is going to have these kinds of problems. Hughes and cc are both off to rocky beginnings this season and yet the team is finding ways to win. AJ is fine so far and you have to trust that Nova will be adequate for a fourth starter or we won't stay in the rotation. With that in mind and the probability that hughes and cc will end up statistically having seasons similar to their performances a season ago, they really only need one of these dead heap veterans to step up and be a solid no.5. So, I don't see what the panic is all about.

9. optimus grimlock profile image60

because hughes is out for awhile burnnett has lost it and cc is the onlyone doin decent

Burnett has always been one of those guys who has great stuff with mediocre results. Hughes should be the big concern, because the Yankees were kind of expecting him to be a leader on the staff for the next generation. If he's already having dead arm issues, that probably means the Yankees are going to have to spend a lot more $$$ or trade some solid prospects to solidify the pitching staff they want for years to come.

10. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 13 years ago

Hughes is definitely the concern now but, guys, seriously . . . it's still April. Besides, the Yankees have depth. Just like W's shadow gov't, we basically have a backup starting rotation that's ready to take over if the first choice rotation goes kahput. I am so totally not worried at this early stage.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)