Effective, Inexpensive Ways to Get Rid and Banish Acne
Dermatologists agree that acne is not a major health threat, unless you allow it to fester and leave scars. So, why, then is acne such a dreaded condition? The simple answer is—acne is ugly! Self-esteem can take a plunge when acne makes its appearance. Acne may go by different names—pimples, zits, whiteheads, blackheads or pustules—but collectively they are called acne. Acne is the most common skin disorder and 40 to 50 million Americans have it. It may seem prevalent among teenagers, since 80% of them suffer from acne, but acne can inflict anyone at any age, according to according to dermatologist James E. Fulton, the founder of Acne Research Institute in Newport Beach, California.
What causes acne? There are 3 main contributing factors—overproduction of sebum, irregular shedding of dead skin cells resulting in irritation of hair follicle of your skin and bacteria buildup. To further explain—your skin has pores which are connected to sebaceous glands (produce sebum) under the skin. Sebum travels along shafts, known as follicle, then out through the opening of hair follicle on the surface of the skin. When hair follicles become plugged with any of the 3 factors mentioned above, acne occurs.
It is not known what causes the overproduction of sebum but a number of factors are suspect—hormones, bacteria, certain medications, stress, even heredity. Acne is especially troublesome during adolescence as there is an increase production of the hormones called androgens, which in turn increases the production of sebum.
What to Do When Acne Strikes?
The good news that acne can be effectively controlled with self-care measures, over-the-counter medications and home remedies. With some measure of personal hygiene—washing your face with a mild facial wash and keeping your hair from off your face—you can save yourself from unwelcome acne angst. If make-up is clogging up your pores, keep it to a minimum. Keep hands from touching face constantly. Acne doesn’t thrive on clean skin.
If you’re leery of harsh chemicals used to tame acne, home remedies would be your safe alternative. It doesn’t cost much and the better news—you can find most of the ingredients in the refrigerator or in your kitchen. Here are a few home fixes that can clear your skin:
- Mix baking soda with enough water to form a paste. Cover acne with paste and rinse off after 20 minutes.
- Mix lime juice with equal portions of rose water. Apply to thoroughly washed face and keep it on for 3o minutes before rinsing off.
- Garlic has antiseptic properties. Simple cut a clove of garlic and apply directly on acne. Rinse after 15 minutes. You can do the same with ripe tomato pulp.
- Some people swear it works better than store-bought acne treatments—we’re talking toothpaste (not gel, whitening toothpaste is better). Dab a small amount directly on acne and leave overnight to reduce redness, swelling and irritation.
- Spot-treat pimples with a mixture of 3 teaspoons of honey (great skin toner) and one teaspoon of cinnamon. Leave overnight and rinse off with warm water the next day.
- Make clarifying mask with 4 strawberries (mashed), 2 tsp. of plain yogurt and 1 tsp. of honey. Apply to skin and leave for 20 minutes before rinsing off. It helps to clear skin of impurities and prevents acne outbreak.
- Apply Tea Tree oil—oil from Melaleuca alternifoliasis tree in Australia. It contains bacteria-fighting substances known as Terpenes, which can kill acne bacteria.
- The best home remedy? Water—drink at least 8 glasses of water to detoxify your system and keep skin moisturized and clear.
Watch other home remedies, so easy, you'll wonder why you never thought of them:
Since home remedies are mild, allow time for it to work. If patience is not your virtue, look to prescription strength treatment or over-the-counter medications. Look for these active ingredients: Benzoyl peroxide, Rescorcinol, Glycolic acid, salicyclic acid or sulfur. They may cause irritations, redness or burning.
Researchacnetreatments.com highly recommends these top anti-acne treatments:
1. Acnetix—All-in-one treatments rated number 1 by both experts and consumers.
2. 7 Day Detox –Cleans body of toxins that cause acne.
3. Acjuva—Popular 3-piece kit like Proactiv that includes renewing cleanser, Revitalizing toner and repairing lotion.
4. Biodermagen—An effective leave-in acne treatment.
Other treatments that are noteworthy:
- Rodan & Field
Related Interesting reads:
Is your face a showcase of red bumps and glistening spots? Do you hate words like pimples, zits, whiteheads and blackheads and they are on your face? If you do, you’re not alone. Acne is a very common skin disorder and 40 to 50 million Americans have to deal with it everyday.
Baking soda may be an inexpensive kitchen ingredient but it plays an important role in your health and beauty routine. Its medicinal and personal care uses were endorsed by the United State Pharmacopoeia (USP) more than 150 years ago.
More by this Author
courtesy of sheknows.com © All Rights Reserved The sun emits electromagnetic radiation in the form of heat and light. In fact, 99 percent of the electromagnetic radiation reaches the Earth in the form of...
Skin lightening or whitening is popular in Asia. Here's how to pick a safe skin lightener.
Want to lose weight and hold it off? The Chinese people have certain inbuilt diet strategies in their eating habits. Find out more.