Help for Oily and Congested Skin
Large Pores, Blemishes, and Shine, Oh My!
Many people who have oily or combination/oily skin can tell you it isn't fun. It seems like your skin gets oily again a few minutes or a few hours after you wash it. The shine that appears mid-day can be embarrassing and make you feel gross. Then there's also the large pores and acne that often go hand-in-hand with oily skin. If you're like me, and have a tendency to not drink enough water, then you probably have dehydrated skin on top of the oily. This creates another problem, because it does not allow the excess oil to escape. It traps oil under there, where it mixes with dirt and other gross things and becomes a closed comedone or blackhead. Then you have congested skin.
5 Essentials for Clearer and Cleaner Skin
1. An Exfoliating Face Wash A professional quality face wash that includes glycolic or lactic acid can go a long way in getting that dead skin off and clearing out you pores. Start with once a day and work up to twice a day. Don't over-do it in the beginning, particularly if you have dehydrated skin. It's worth the extra money, trust me.
2. An Enzyme Exfoliant The fruit enzymes and acids in these make a great combination to clear away the leftover debris you face wash didn't get. Some even have Alpha Hydroxy Acids and Beta Hydroxy Acids that can help prevent and correct the signs of aging. A lot of them are gentle enough to use on a sunburn, but don't let that fool you; just because its gentle does not mean it won't work. Use this 2-3 times a week.
3. A Hydrating Mask Your skin could be over-producing oil because it's in need of moisture. Quench it with a water-based mask. Notice, I did not say moisturizing but hydrating. It could make all the difference. Use 2-3 times a week after exfoliating.
4. An Oil-Free moisturizer The last thing we want is more oil or our already greasy faces. If you find one with Hyaluronic Acid, even better. It acts as a water binding agent to keep the skin soft and supple. It will help restore the moisture barrier as well. Use everyday, AM and PM.
5. Water! If we aren't hydrated, our skin reacts. We can correct the imbalance in our skin by simply drinking more water. This is the part I have the most trouble with, but I am getting better about it. You need half your body weight in ounces of water a day. More than you thought, huh? Also, caffeinated drinks count as negative ounces. For every coffee or soda you have, you need 2 equivalent amounts of water to make up for it! As if we needed another reason to avoid soda.
What Does It All Add Up To?
Exfoliation and hydration is the key! For oily skin, there is no better combination. Don't be too down on your oily skin though. It keeps you looking younger much longer than those with dryer skin types.
More by this Author
I decided to get a chemical peel to help clear my skin up for my wedding, and I'm not sure if I would do it again if I could have a do-over. I went in with 2 solid weeks to go before the wedding date. My aesthetician...
Home hair coloring gone awry? Stylist mess up your shade? Learn how to correct your hair color if it's too dark right here in this article!