How to Buy Sneakers Online
Everybody Wears Them
This time of the year people are throwing out the old and finding the new. While there are linen sales, underwear sales, and so on there is one thing most people need more than anything. Tennis shoes have been apart of the American wardrobe for a long time.
What you use them for has changed as much as anything. However, with the rise of internet shopping- it has been commonplace for people to order the sneakers online.
While this sounds daunting, I have done it several times. With the right information and perspective, you can easily purchase a new pair of tennis shoes sooner than you can go to the department store and buy them.
Things You Should Know Before You Buy
Your Shoe Size: This is a no brainer but for many people, including myself sizes vary between brands of athletic shoes. Not only that but if you are ill or have lost wait- your shoe size can fluctuate as well. The best way to determine your shoe size is listed below courtesy of digitalsanctum.com
- Get a piece of paper large enough to trace the outline of your foot on, a pencil, and a ruler or measuring tape.
- Trace the outline of your foot keeping the pencil perpendicular to the paper
- Draw parallel lines which intersect with the widest areas of your foot. You should have a rectangle, not a rhombus, not a trapezoid.
- Measure the length and width of your foot in inches.
- Use the chart below to convert your two measurements from inches to find your actual shoe size. I've included size charts for men and women in the U.S. and abroad here but you can find similar charts online for women and international sizes.
The Intended Purpose of the Sneaker:
- Athletic shoes are no longer one shoe for all purposes. There are different types and styles to suit your lifestyle and activities. If you are looking for running shoes, make sure you look for shoes for running. If you want shoes to walk in, there's a walking section.
- With that in mind you also want to know how much you plan to use the shoe. If you want them to last a long time, you might want to consider paying more for better features.
- Also, you want to know what kind of support is offered for the type of shoe you plan to buy. If it has little or no support, you may not be able to wear it for long periods of time- for instance, an 8 hour work day where you're on your feet alot.
Picking A Brand
Now this may sound easier said than done but different brands are known for different features. Also, if you have sustainability concerns you may want to know what each company is about.
- Nike- Quite possibly the largest sneaker retailer worldwide, Nike has gone high tech recently, teaming with Apple to provide fitness apps for the iPod, iPad, and iPhone. Certain sneakers also sync with your iPod to provide maximum support and encouragement.
- Puma- Not as big as Nike, Puma recently has changed its marketing and sales to reflect sustainability. Shoes shipped online come in recyclable bags for multi-use.
- Adidas- Athletes and rappers have helped give a 21st century boost to the iconic fitness brand.
- Converse- Chuck Taylor's company have recently been mired in struggle after going through bankruptcy and being purchased by Nike. Don't worry- you can still get your high-top chucks made to order.
- New Balance- Quite possibly the only athletic company to keep its production operation in the states.
- Reebok- Everyone knows them as the Pepsi to Nike's Coke and that's just about right. They have several endorsements with well-known athletes. And also they have been known for providing philanthropic support to causes such as Avon's Walk for Breast Cancer.
Sites to Explore
There are many shoe sites in addition to each company having its own store. Depending on your needs, you can choose which to use.
Sears: If you go to the Sears homepage and click on Clothing Shoes and Jewelry, you will see the tab for athletic shoes. From there, you will be directed to a page that showcases different types of sneakers for the whole family.
Amazon: One of the premiere online retailers for just about everything also has a knack for including great deals for tennis shoes. You can shop by brand, gender, or sport.
JC Penney:If you go to their shoe page, you can find athletic shoes under each gender and age group (Men, Women, Children) and go from there. They also have a favorite brands section that includes Nike and Converse.
Kohls: They have an athletics section as well. In addition, they have featured brands from such companies as Adidas, Asics, and Nike. You can also specify the price range you are looking for.
Adidas:Once on the site you can go straight to the sneaker page for Men, Women,or Kids. Or if you are in search of a bargain, you can click on sale to find discounted pairs of sneakers.
Reebok: After you are on the homepage, you can go straight to the tab for Men, Women, Boys, or Girls and select the type of sneaker you are looking for or go to the main page and go from there. They also have a classics section for their most iconic sneakers.
Nike:You can go to the store page for Nike and again according to who you're shopping for (Men, Women, Kids) you can go to the type of shoe you are looking for.
These are only a few sites you can explore for online shopping, but this gives you an idea of what is possible to find online.
Have You Ever Purchased Sneakers Online Before?See results without voting
Coupons and Discounts
Here are a few sites and places that you can get discounts from before you purchase your sneakers.
CouponCabin.com: This is a site that was recommended to me by a family member and ever since I have been diligent in looking for coupons from them before online shopping. Sometimes, they even have deals for in-store purchases. However, they generally provide discounts for stores so if you plan to go through a retailer, I would peruse this site.
AAA Members: If you are AAA member, you already know that you can get great discounts for retailers. Reebok Outlets, Payless ShoeSource, and Kohl's Online are just a few places you can get a deal at.
RetailMeNot: Similar to Coupon Cabin they have discounts for several well-known retailers.
Hopefully these tips will help you find the best pair of sneakers online. Happy shopping!
More by this Author
Great songs about women in celebration of Women's History Month.
How to dress and shop for appropriate office separates for women.
A biography of the most iconic and influential boy band of the late 20th century, New Edition.