Get Rid of Scars and Stretch Marks
Skin has amazing regenerative powers. If skin is damaged by cuts, burns or tears the epidermal cells and dermal fibres can knit back together again. However, in doing so scar tissue forms which has a slightly different colour and texture. These scars do fade with time but their imprint may last a lifetime. With sore, acne-type pustules inflammation is often deep-seated and, if infection is pushed deeper into the skin by squeezing, skin may be permanently scarred by such spots.
Stretch marks are essentially deeper-lying scars. When skin is over-stretched, collagen fibres in the dermis may rupture. This is most likely to happen during pregnancy or when weight is rapidly gained and lost. Newly forming collagen and elastin fibres repair the damage but leave silvery lines behind. Typically stretch marks appear on the hips, stomach, bottom and upper thighs.
- If your body shape is changing through diet, exercise or pregnancy be sure to keep the skin supple and well lubricated. Other essential oils that are good for reducing stretch marks are neroli and mandarin.
- When Rene Gattefosse (the father of modern aromatherapy) burnt his hand in a lab experiment, he instinctively plunged it into a nearby vat of lavender oil and was amazed at how rapidly his skin healed without scarring.
- Lavender is known for its healing properties, but many other essential oils including rose, camomile, neroli and geranium help wounds to mend faster and minimise scarring. The sooner skin is treated, the better. Lavender is the only essential oil that can safely be applied neat to cuts and burns. Old scar tissue has been known to improve with regular applications of essential oils.
- Vitamins C and B6, zinc and sulphur are closely involved in the healing process and ample supplies help skin repair itself more effectively. Preparations containing these nutrients may also promote skin healing when applied externally. Creams containing methyl sulphonyl methane (naturally occurring sulphur) are being successfully used in the treatment of burns, scars and acne, while creams enriched with soluble vitamin C have a soothing effect on traumatised tissue, reducing inflammation and speeding healing.
Skin Repairing Oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet almond oil
- 1 teaspoon calendula oil
- 1 capsule vitamin E oil
Blend the ingredients together and massage into damaged skin twice a day for 4 weeks, then once daily until the skin is well healed. Keeps fresh for up to 6 months.
- How to Determine Your Skin Type
Each one of us is unique and this individuality is mirrored in our skin. Some skin traits tend to run in families. You may have inherited your mother's fragile complexion which means your skin may be...
- How to Buff Your Skin to Perfection
Polished Perfection - Creams and pastes infused with gritty, skin-buffing particles are known as physical exfoliators or skin scrubs. They certainly do the trick, but if the grains are too abrasive they can...
More by this Author
Bigfoot is attributed to being a large creature with an ape-like appearance that is found mainly in regions of the Pacific Northwest and North America. This bipedal humanoid is often described as large in size and...
Matmata is really astonishing underground town which you must visit at least once in your life. In our modern world the skyscrapers are everywhere, so you will be definitely surprised that there are still some people...
Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyradiculoneuropathy is a immune-mediated inflammatory disorder of the peripheral nervous system. It is believed that the condition is caused by immune cells attacking the exterior...
No comments yet.