Quick Tips on Trimming Your Own Bangs
Trim Your Own Bangs
My Ninja Scissors
General Hair Cutting Tips
- Use sharp scissors. Using dull scissors makes it very difficult to get a good haircut.
- Use scissors made for cutting hair. Other scissors are too large and bulky, making hair cutting difficult, or they are not sharp enough to do a good job.
- Pull the rest of your hair back and tie up with a ponytail holder or clips, so only the part of your hair that you want to cut, is loose and ready for cutting.
Tips for Straight Hair, Straight Bangs
If you have straight hair, here are some things you need to know when trimming your bangs.
- It's easiest to cut bangs straight when your hair is wet.
- Hair shrinks up about 1/4" to 1/2" when it dries, so cut it a little longer than you want it.
- Cut the middle first, then the sides. If you cut from one side to the other, you're more likely to cut at a diagonal.
Tips for Wavy or Curly Hair worn Curly
- It's easiest to cut curly hair when wet.
- Wavy or curly hair shrinks up a lot more than straight hair, as much as several inches, so keep this in mind when deciding how much to cut off.
- If you're wearing your hair curly, it's much easier to hide mistakes, so cutting your bangs perfectly isn't a necessity.
Tips for Wavy or Curly Hair Worn Straight
If you have naturally curly or wavy hair, but usually blow dry it straight, then theses tips are for you.
- Blow dry hair straight, then cut dry. The reason for this, is then you can tell exactly how your hair will hang when styled, and you'll have a better idea of how much to cut off.
- Dry hair shrinks a little too. It's a weird thing, but even when you cut your hair dry, and think it's perfect, I guarantee that after you shower and dry your hair again, it will seem just a little shorter than you thought you cut it. So cut it about 1/4" longer than you want it.
My Experience with Haircutting Scissors
OK, I confess, I used to be a hairdresser. I went to one of those high schools with vocational training (cosmetology and auto body). I took cosmetology so by the time I graduated, I has all of the required hours and I got licensed. I was a professional hairdresser for several years before switching vocations.
The scissors that came with our "kit" were about $20 scissors. They were OK, but not great. I bought a different pair of cheap scissors, and they were just OK. Then, I finally "splurged" and bought a $90 pair of scissors, which seemed like a lot back then. They were Ninja's. I've had my scissors well over 20 years now, and they're still super-sharp, and I still love them. At the time I was looking for good scissors, most of the others I saw were over $200.
I'm sure there are plenty of other really good scissors out there, and some probably pricier than these. But this is what I have experience with, and I think they were a great investment.
More by this Author
What causes your eye to turn red, where it looks like a bloody eye? How long does it take to heal? Read on.
Causes and treatment of tapeworms in cats. Photos of tapeworm segments. Prevention.
Learn what a hot spot is on your cat (or dog), what some possible causes are, and what to do about it.