Your Fairy Godfather’s Guide to Designer Couture at a Budget Click
© 2011 by Aurelio Locsin.
Here’s the dilemna, darling. You want to look spectacular for your anniversary fete, promotion party or first date. But the latest Vera Wang couture is just a tad out of the budget. Fear not and let moi, your virtual fairy godfather, wave his magic mouse and turn you into the belle of the ball.
Grand Entrance Gown
Take a look at the number on the right, my pre-Cinderella: 100 percent blue silk charmeuse with an assymetric neckline, scoop back, hook-and-eye closure and a hidden side zip. How much would you pay to don this glamour?
If you answered $1,495, the retail price, then you’re one of the rich but evil stepsisters, and I banish you from my writings. For the rest of you sleeping in the cold and drafty storeroom, my magic mouse grants you the goods at only $250. That’s almost 85 percent off!
Before you hem and haw that the price puts the miracle out of reach, think about what your closest frenemy Bitzy would say as you descend the grand staircase finally draped like a goddess. The evil stepsisters shall contort their over-made-up faces in envy. Men shall gaze upon you with romance in their hearts. Only your bedazzled Prince can halt their advances. Save your pennies then, for the pittance will be worth this magical evening.
Alas, like all fairy sprigs, my magic mouse has its limits. For at the stroke of midnight on the fourth day of your attirement, the gown must disappear. For it is but a rental that will grant you the memories of a lifetime.
The source of this magic is RentTheRunway.com. To avail yourself of this power, perform this encantation:
- Browse the magnificent collection of dresses by color, length, body type, style, neckline or sleeves. You’ll uncover cocktail attire, party dresses, dinner gowns and first-date seductions by Christian Cota, Dolce and Gabbana, Hervé Léger and Versace, to name a few. Prices range from $50 for a black short-skirted Carolina Chiffon Dress by Lilly Pulitzer to a sleeveless burgundy Crepe Column Gown by Nina Ricci.
- Chat with a fit specialist online if you have any questions.
- Click your choice and then choose two sizes: one is the size you think you are and the other the size you actually fit into.
- Schedule a delivery date. You’ll receive both sizes and can keep your treasures for four or eight days. If the dresses don’t fit, you don’t pay.
- Wear the outfit and stun the attendees at your celebration.
- At the end of the ball, put both selections into the post-paid package and drop it in the mailbox. Their elves take care of dry-cleaning.
Your fairy godfather knows that even with the gown, you might as well be naked unless you also shimmer with matching accoutrements. RentTheRunway grants access to such baubles in the form of earrings, bracelets, necklaces and clutch purses by the likes of Diane von Furstenberg, Kenneth Jay Lane and Gerard Yosca. Prices range from $10 to $400.
It pains me to reveal that the magic factory offers no matching footwear. However, a pair of heels in black or dress-matching color should suffice. You want to keep it simple and elegant, so your admirers are drawn to your form rather than your feet.
Keep the Magic Alive
If you do indulge in this luxury, please let your godfather know with a bit of calligraphy in the Comments below. I would also appreciate any honest and constructive criticism for my new writing style.
More by this Author
Only the upper echelon of business tycoons, high-tech geniuses, entertainment and sports stars, and national lottery winners can lay their hands on $100 million. But if you’re one of them, you’ll appreciate...
Ear wax can clog up the ear to the point of deafness. Find out how to remove the blockage.
Engineers apply theoretical knowledge of math and the physical sciences to create practical solutions for everyday problems. The following list shows the top 10 engineering disciplines that will add the most jobs,...