How To Wear A Pencil Skirt
A pencil skirt is a classic piece - but how to wear a pencil skirt? Simple - sleek, elegant and most of all ... appropriately.
Too short - you're trying too hard. Too long - you either can't walk correctly or you'll end up looking like Olive Oil. And I don't care how beautiful Popeye and Bluto thought her.
I've seen better dressed family pets.
The trick is to keep it simple, keep it classy, look great - and feel it.
The art of knowing how to wear a pencil skirt is to keep a few basic rules in mind:
- they're a versatile piece
- a black one will blend with almost any footwear/accessories
- don't aim for too tight/too long
- think about your body shape - then buy the cut that suits your figure the best
- brown, white, grey or denim also looks fab
It is incredibly easy to overdo - or under do - a pencil skirt. They are a timeless piece and you can create a rather dowdy and dated look if you're not careful.
Never buy one the ends below the knee. Equally, avoid a mid-thigh length. That, Dear Reader, isn't a pencil skirt. It's a mini skirt. And quite the difference.
There are several base types:
- straight, narrow cut
- back slit
- thigh or front slit
- pleated front
For the more modest among us a pleated front will retain the classic cut, yet allow for an easier gait.
A small slit at the back offers the same, though to remain classy in appearance - try not to have your ass hanging out the back. So not classy.
For the more daring, a thigh slit will offer a hot and sassy edge. However - too high and you change from sassy to trashy. Size really does matter. Sometimes.
And before anyone that's blessed with curves backs away ... yes you can wear a pencil skirt. A fabulously form fitting skirt can and will emphasize you in all the right places.
Remember: big girls are beautiful!
Wear A Pencil Skirt
High Waisted Pencil Skirt
The above covered, you need to wear a pencil skirt that fits in with the venue, the event - and you.
It's no good you tottering about in killer heels, done up like the priests coming for dinner, ragging your too tight skirt down every five minutes.
Or fiddling (heaven forbid) with your roaming underwear - that's traveling down whilst your skirts riding up.
So saying - make sure it fits, make sure it's comfortable. Make sure you feel comfortable. You need a little movement in it, a little give.
You want it figure hugging, not figure bugging.
- hem at the knees. Not below them or enough floors above them that you're showing off your parapet
it should sit comfortable on your waist - too tight = muffin top = your bumps becoming unwanted (and very obvious) lumps
classy ... classy ... elegant!
Pencil Skirt Outfit
A pencil skirt outfit needs to look as though you've dressed with the light on. Not off. A great little black skirt is almost the same as the archetypal little black dress.
Remember: they're versatile. You can team a neutral pencil skirt with office attire such as:
- fitted or semi fitted shirt
- tailored jacket/coat
- kitten heels
- flattering soft knits
Tuck the shirt/blouse in or leave it out. If out, make sure it doesn't 'drown' the top half of your skirt. Any half-decent tailored shirt will finish right where it needs to.
Same with a jacket - don't cover up or go for a style that lacks at least a basic shape. A Pea coat, blazer, typical office style jacket - something that's a little fitted without being volumous. Nana Mouskouri didn't wear a pencil skirt under all those swather of material. And neither did Demis Roussos come to think of it.
Pencil Skirt Fashion Tips
Denim Pencil Skirt
To round off, some pencil skirt fashion tips. From Casual to rockin- it up, a few pointers and ideas on how to wear a pencil skirt.
- black, brown white or demin for the skirt
- accessories to match the top/shoes/bag if black
- brown or denim - remember what does and what doesn't go with brown and blue
- white - summer colors, pastels, floral prints
- as with any look that includes this style of skirt - belt up, tuck in, or don't. Whatever suits your shape and confidence is best
- bangles make a great accessory
- a fitted tee or loose blouse - belted (or not)
- denim + boho style works well
- halter neck - silk or satin
- sleeveless top - chiffon, floaty - tucked in or belted
- vest, fitted, shine with sequines or lame (you know - lamay, not lame rhymes with game)
- killer heels - or aim a bit lower if you walk in stilettos like a drunken soldier
- sandals - strappy, sassy
- accessorise, accessorize - accessorize
That wraps it up. All that's left for you to do is try, buy and wear. Have fun shopping, coordinating and shimmying.
NB: if you're not shimmying your skirt's either:
- too tight
- too long
- too big
- you look like Olive Oyl
Don't say I didn't warn you.
More by this Author
How to choose the best jeans for your shape? Simple. Know your shape. Are you, petite, pear shaped - or curvy? The shape of your body is less of a problem than you think.
An astonishing amount of women don’t know how to find the right bra. A one page read for correct bra measuring and correct cup sizing.
The Bengal cat is a wonderful domestic cat. If you're looking for Bengal cat information, you've come to the right place. Here, you'll find free impartial advice from a longtime owner.