How to WordPress
How to Start Website with minimal initial upcost
Thousand of internet companies are offering their super-duper and super-expensive services to people who do not know how to create a website. Whole website development process and online presence requries to find a hidden gem - know how. And thats all. Nowadays we do not have to invent a bicycle once again and hire programmers to write our website from scratch.
It is nice to have your own Content Management System because it can prevent you from internet attacks - just imagine number of MS Windows virus attacked zombies. Many people use this operating system and because of it - they are target of crackers. The same problem is with well known internet applications, but they are also empowered by huge communities and every webmaster can do many things to secure the website. Also a website with non-opensource code can be hacked using many and many techniques, including SQL injection.
But there is a very big difference - you do not have to pay for OpenSource. Do not be shy and use OpenSource to create your website using for example WordPress. Why? Answer is very easy. Let your web to generate funds to cover future development. Do not spend hundreds or thousands on website development if you can save these funds and use them for marketing.
Perform a research about Website name
Every website needs a name to be human friendly. Nobody wants to remember these crazy IPv4 or even IPv6 adresses to read new stuff from your site. To get your own domain name, you should consider several tips:
- typo-safe domain ( try gogle.com - google must hold every domain which can be mistyped by their users to prevent phishing and domain speculation )
- Readibility - imagine that you want to get a radio advertisement - will these people know how to write your domain
- domain length - http://www.thelongestdomainnameintheworldandthensomeandthensomemoreandmore.com/
is not a good solution for your lead generation stream
- nearly every hosting provider will help you to find free domain. You can also try any WHOIS lookup service to find your own website name and perform domain availability check
What is the maximal amount you want to spend on Website development?See results without voting
- List of content management systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Comprehensive list of CMS ... not only powered by PHP.
- Joomla! The CMS Trusted By Millions for their Websites
Joomla! is the mobile-ready and user-friendly way to build your website. Choose from thousands of features and designs. Joomla! is free and open source.
- Open Source Content Management System - Open Source CMS - CMS PHP - CMS Made Simple
CMS Made Simple - the open source content management system for the rest of us
- concrete5 - Free CMS | Open Source Content Management System
Many content management systems are focused on developer or site owner needs, but concrete5 is a CMS that truly delivers the best to both worlds. An in-context editing toolbar makes it easy to make changes as you navigate the live website. A truly MV
How to Install WordPress
I always suggest to my clients to use CMS WordPress. I have several reasons for it.
- I have bad experience with earlier versions of Drupal - especially plugin conflicts
- Joomla is very complex, like a cannon to shoot a mosquito
- WordPress is used by well known players, community is very live and i can choose from dozens of themes and plugins - WordPress is well-supported by many online services
- WordPress administration is user friendly. I have tried many CMS made by programmers who do not care about user experience.
Choose right website name and hosting
It is always better to invest in your own domain name. Domain name can be very cheap but also very expensive. To start, you may select your national domain or generic one like .com, .net, .name, .org and so on. Many hosting companies are offering sales or they will give you the domain for free, if you order hosting.
- Free hosting is very frequently limited by RAM memory - you can not run your WordPress properly with all needed features.
- Free hosting does not normally offer an accessibility guarantees and daily backup
- Free hosting can try to input advertisement into your script
- Subdomains provided by free hosting can affect your SEO
- If you are looking for WordPress turnkey hosting, you can try hosting providers which allow you to use cPanel or they offer any other technique how to install WordPress by click.
- WordPress is really easy to install. You just have to follow instructions during installation. All you need is to upload WP files into your root or subdomain directory of your hosting, get a MySQL database ( db user, db password, db name, db server ) and visit your site, where you will see installation dialogue.
- If you experience problems with wp-config setup or you are experiencing FTP dialogue during installation of plugins and themes, change file permissions properly.
WordPress Performance Tips
WordPress has one weak point - page load can decrease to awful numbers if not used properly. Quadrillions of plugins or even one plugin with poor perfomance can slow down your site and then kill your not only search engine traffic. But, we can prevent from these performance issues in several ways.
- Monitor your memory consumption and quota - if you have memory quota 32 MB, do not boost your site up to this quota - even 5 visitors can blow up your site to white screen of death and memory leaks. Use wp memory usage plugin to see. It is not a sustainable solution to raise the Quota.
- Get a W3 Total Cache - Caching is really nice method how to save server load and serve your sites pretty quickly. W3 Total Cache enables you to save HTTP requests as like as MySQL Query requests. One page load can produce up to 20 queries, which is really large number! If installed properly and supported by hosting provider, W3 total cache can solve your performance issues really gently.
- Install CloudFlare plugin and set up your W3 Total Cache to support this absolutely free CDN network. You will need to change your DNS nameservers, but impact is huge. You can also use nice number of 3rd party services without any additional load for your memory. CloudFlare is also absolutely brilliant security solution. This is my HOT tip!
- Use Google PageSpeed to track performance issues and solve them - most common problems are not optimized graphics
- To optimize your database, use revision control to clean old content revisions
- Do not perform high memory demanding actions during rush hours - you can track your rush hours using traffic analytics like google Analytics, Piwik and so on.
Learn from the best how to start website
Suggested 3rd party services for WordPress
- User Registration Spam Prevention - WangGuard Anti-Splog
User Registration Spam Prevention for Websites. Maybe we are the best way to protect you from user registration spam in the world. We have an API so you can use it in any CMS. WangGuard Anti-splog system
- Livefyre | We Make Your Site Social
Livefyre provides the most powerful suite of real-time tools for your site, including Live Comments, Live Blogs, and Live Chats. We build engagement and community for bloggers, publishers, TV networks and brands like nothing else on the market.
- nrelate | Free Products for Online Publishers
nRelate provides a solution for contextual monetization inside recommended articles. This services enables you to empower visitors to read more content.
- User Management Platform | Janrain
The Janrain User Management Platform comprises core products for social login and sharing, social profile data, registration and single sign-on.
- WordPress Gallery Plugin | NextGEN Gallery
WordPress gallery plugin, NextGEN Gallery is the most popular portfolio and gallery choice for millions of WordPress users around the world.
- WordPress SEO Plugin • Search Engine Optimization Plugin • Yoast
The most complete WordPress SEO Plugin, Yoast's WordPress SEO plugin is an All in One SEO solution for your WordPress blog, used by experts worldwide.
I would love to answer your questions about WordPress development. You can ask your questions below in comments or click the link below featured image and PM me for free advice.
More by this Author
Article is focused on Czech Unique Inventions for the World. Did you know that Explosive Semtext, Lighting rod or Contact Lenses have been invented in the Heart of Europe, Czech republic? Let see more inventions now.
Entrepreneur, writer, producer and athlete from Iceland with pretty awesome story. From Carpenter to Superhero Sportakus. Magnús Scheving. One of the world richest people!