How to use Instapaper on Android (Droid) - App configuration
My favorite iPhone app (when I had an iPhone) was Instapaper, which allows you to save articles you'd normally read on your computer for offline reading on your iPhone. I often find interesting articles I want to read on my computer in the morning, save them to Instapaper, and then read them while taking the subway to work.
Well, now I'm a confirmed Android guy. I had a Nexus One for a year and a half, and now have an HTC Sensation. Sadly, the app doesn't exist for the Android platform (the developer states that he doesn't have the time currently to port it over) but there is a workaround that works beautifully. (These will work if you have an Android tablet, too)
- In the Android Market, search for, download and install BenPaper.
- Click the Menu button on your phone and click the Settings button.
- Back on your computer, look for your Instapaper RSS URL. On http://www.instapaper.com, go to your Unread page and look for the RSS Feed link in the right column under FOLDER TOOLS. Copy down the long link, which should be of the format like:
You can do this by hovering over the link and seeing the full URL to the lower left corner of your browser window.
- Enter this URL in your Settings field of BenPaper on your phone. Hit the Confirm button.
- Your Instapaper articles should start loading. If they don't, click the Menu button again and press the Update button.
An alternative to BenPaper is a great new app called EverPaper that allows you to pull in your Instapaper articles, and also share via EverNote (optionally). Definitely worth checking out.
Yet another option...InstaFetch
I've been using InstaFetch for the past year now, and really like it. It does load articles oddly slowly (even on my dual-core Sensation, which is blindingly fast otherwise), but it does feel the most like InstaPaper, if you're used to that UI.
More by this Author
Losing my data got me to look at backing up with Time Machine, and reliability concerns prompted me to look at Time Capsule alternatives. Research brought me to Western Digital's My Book Live Duo, which has a number of...
Easy-to-follow instructions on how to dial from a landline or cell/mobile phone to reach someone in London, England.
Updated for 2017: Price per square foot for 20 prefab (modular) home companies' products, including Blu Homes, Proto Homes, ideabox (Ikea), weeHouses, and many others.