Introducing The New XO-1 Laptop Computer
Isn't it adorable! I heard about this thing last year but was unsure as to how they were going to be able to build a computer that is child-friendly (durable), usable in third-world nations where internet connection is nearly impossible (especially for the remote communities), energy efficient so that you run it on a small solar panel or crank-generate the power, user-friendly software for children, and all under $100. Well they did it! Productions are underway and orders are already being taken in by governments of countries like Argentina, Brazil, Libyia, Nigeria, Rewanda, Thailand and Uruguay to be distributed to their school-aged children.
To make the laptop the energy efficient and usable throughout the world, the XO-1 has incorperated some ingenious ideas.
- 802.11b/g/s Wireless LAN connects children with other XO-1 users and share a internet connection amoungst themselves. That was children from remote communities needn't be near a wireless transmitter, just near other classmates.
- To save on energy and make it more durable, it has a 1 GB Flash Drive instead of a Hard-Drive.
- The Operating System is an easy to use but programmable Fedora-Core Based OP (Linux).
- The XO-1 uses a AMD Geode LX700@0.8W + 5536. This might seem slow but it was designed to operate efficiently without the use of a cooling fan.
- For memory it has a 256 MB DRAM.
- Its LCD monitor gives off a two way resolution so that you never realise you are looking at a LCD screen.
Most Laptops use from 10 to 45 Watts of power, the XO-1 is designed to operate at only 2 W. Making it less than a computer left on standby.
Many companies have come forward and developed software for the XO-1 to be free of charge.
- The system will use a version of Fedora Core Linux as the operating system.
- A simple web browser that is based on the Gecko engine used by Mozilla Firefox.
- A word processor based on AbiWord.
- Email through the web-based Gmail service.
- Online chat and VoIP programs.
- A music sequencer with digital instruments: Jean Piché's TamTam
- Audio and video player software: Mplayer or Helix.
Demo of the XO-1 Laptop
More by this Author
Canadians are a proud group of people, and why not? There are many things to be proud of. Here is a list of my Top-Ten Canadian Contributions to the American way of life.
Perhaps one of the most overlooked places to visit in Canada is Alberta. While most international travelers come to enjoy the night life of Toronto and Montreal or the beaches of B.C.'s West coast, Alberta has remained...
Known as the gateway to the Rockies, Calgary, Alberta is a booming oil town where people come from all over Canada to take advantage of its scenery and outdoor life. There is no shortage of things to do, with year round...