My Addiction to Internet Success
When I create an account on a social website, I...See results without voting
I don’t quite have an addictive personality, but it’s certainly borderline.
I can separate myself from the things that I love if I need to; however, my definition of “need” can waver at times.
If there is a food I am craving, more than likely I will go for it. If I wake up in the morning and don’t want to exercise, I’ll probably still exercise because I’m used to it. I don’t like to take vacations from work because I enjoy the routine of checking my e-mails and getting things done.
However, the one thing that I could fault myself for is my addiction to my presence on the Internet.
For most of my profiles on certain websites, I have built up my contributions to a significant level. I start out for fun, but after a while it’s difficult for me to remove myself.
For example, see my accounts below on:
On HubPages, I’ve driven myself to become an Elite and earn a HubScore of 100 every now and then – even though it took quite a bit of effort to build up enough comments and Hubs to do so. On Yelp, I’ve taken it upon myself to write reviews and add friends until I became a Yelp Elite. Additionally, it became a quest of mine to attain the Gold level after taking enough language lessons and submitting enough reviews.
Why do I do this? I wonder myself sometimes and would love some insight from others who know of others who do this, or if they do themselves.
There are a few reasons I could surmise for why this occurs:
- Competitiveness – I can be competitive sometimes… but only if it’s something I know that I can succeed in.
- Legacy – I want to be recognized by others. Also, when you’re at the top, people ask you for help, and I love trying to help people.
- Benefits – I’ve found there can be some real perks to doing well on sites like these. As a Yelp Elite, I get invited to Yelp parties, get to try free food and get free things like lunchboxes and flipbooks. I can try to win free tickets to events and more. HubPages has contests for the very eager Hubbers. Livemocha allows me to improve my German language skills – without having to pay for a tutor or class.
- Occupation – It kills me to have a free moment when I know I could be on HubPages earning income, etc. These free moments are much more frequent now that I’m out of school.
I do try to separate myself to the point where I’m not the best. I do want to try to maintain a life outside of the Internet, and I feel I do that quite well. However, sometimes I wonder what would become of me if I were to lose everything I had… You always have the Internet!
I would love to hear from others who have this same addiction. Thanks for stopping by!
- Internet and Computer Addiction: Signs, Symptoms, and Treatment
Internet addiction is on the rise. Learn the warning signs and how to get help.
- Internet Addiction Test
Welcome to Netaddiction.com and the Center for Online Addiction - Resources for therapists and families, tips on Cyber-wellness, and Personal Therapy.
- Internet Addiction
- How to be competitive in online writing - by Ruth Belena - Helium
Anyone wanting to be a successful online writer does need to be competitive. Being productive and knowledgeable should be the ..., Ruth Belena
- Factors for Competitive Success | eHow.com
Factors for Competitive Success. History is filled with the success stories of the rich and powerful. Attend any University Business course and eventually names like Andrew Carnegie, Nelson Rockefeller, Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Mary Kay Ash and Opra
More by this Author
Your computer is given an IP address every time you connect to the Internet so other computers can identify it. There are online search tools to find these addresses. You may want to perform such searches to discover...
You've likely heard about virtual pets to an extent, but why should you adopt one? What can you do with your pet once you create it? Where's the best place to adopt from? This HubPage will provide you with everything...
Choosing a tattoo can be stressful because it's so long-term; a tattoo is so permanent. Making the wrong decision can be painful, costly and inconvenient. There are so many factors to consider before making the final...