Types and Properties of Metals
Metals have more than 70 varieties and each has its own distinct properties that suit a specific use, such as gold, silver, copper, tin, iron, and lead which can be hammered and molded into different shapes and forms.
Two Basic Types of Metals
1. Ferrous Metals - contain iron
2. Non-ferrous metals - do not contain iron (Alloy - a mixture of two or more kinds of metals)
Properties of Metals
1. Malleability - the quality of being hammered and flattened into thin sheets without
2. Ductility - the ability of metals to be drawn out into fine wires without breaking
3. Hardness - enables the metal to resist force without changing its shape
4. Brittleness - the quality of a metal to break easily
5. Elasticity - enables the metal to return to its original shape after bending and pulling
it out of shape
6. Fusibility - the characteristic of metal to melt easily and combine with other metals
to make an alloy
7. Machinability - the extent to which a metal can be shaped, chipped or smoothened
by a machine
8. Permeability - is the measure of the ease with which magnetic flux can be established
in a material
9. Luster - is the quality and intensity of light reflected from the surface of materials
More by this Author
Sandwiches A sandwich is made up of one or more slices of bread with nutritious filling between them. Any kind of bread,cream or loaf bread, rolls and buns will make a good sandwich. The filling may be slices of cold...
The Importance of a Family Budget An operational budget is a plan on how family income should be spent to provide for family needs without incurring debts or deficits. It is the parent's primary task to prepare a...
Biology is the study of living organisms and there are many subfields of study under that umbrella. From anatomy to zoology, there are more than 30 different areas of study under biology.